Why is it bad for chickens to sleep in nesting boxes?

Pics
They are very healthy otherwise. Plenty of free range time, no additional diseases. I do have an older chicken with bubbles in her eye, that she has had for a year though. I wouldn't want her to get it. I posted another thread about her and they said it was weird since her eye didn't look irritated and she's had it for so long. I don't know. She seems healthy otherwise, and is separated from the possible fowl pox with my ducks because otherwise our rooster will over mate her. I will get more pictures of everything, and the setup around the coop, so you can see how I would have to go about expanding. The only problem is, when we built the coop, we did cement flooring. So, its kinda cemented on the ground. We could move it, there is a way, it would just be more complicated then, "okay, lets pick it up and put it on the tractor!" ;)Thanks again!
Your lucky to have a cement coop floor. I only can wish. I'd take my pressure hose and blast it more often than not. So its a good thing I don't have one. I just do deep coop bedding monthly.
I'm dealing with the deworming right now and cleaning the coop like every other day! Ugh!!!!

Your lucky to have a cement coop floor. I only can wish. I'd take my pressure hose and blast it more often than not. So its a good thing I don't have one. I just do deep coop bedding monthly.
I'm dealing with the deworming right now and cleaning the coop like every other day! Ugh!!!!
I can post better pictures of his comb, tonight when they are all tucked in. He will be a lot easier to get pictures of that way.

You may be able to add on to the current one. If you remove the red people door, this could be an entry/arch way that connects the current coop to a new coop. That way you can use the red door on the new part of the coop. Your current coop could be the roosting part and the new part could be the nesting box part. Just brainstorming ideas.

You may be able to add on to the current one. If you remove the red people door, this could be an entry/arch way that connects the current coop to a new coop. That way you can use the red door on the new part of the coop. Your current coop could be the roosting part and the new part could be the nesting box part. Just brainstorming ideas.
I was totally thinking this! Like build onto the existing coop, and then put in a a door so the chickens could access the other part!

I was totally thinking this! Like build onto the existing coop, and then put in a a door so the chickens could access the other part!
I am in a similar situation but mine is chicken math issues. I would love more chickens! But in order to add more chickens, I need to add onto my coop. I will be removing the door to put it on the new addition.

I like the birds to roost up and away from nest for a reason in addition to issues with defecation in nest site. Namely, I like to be able to see all birds at a glance when I go out and check on them. They are pretty consistent on where they roost. It allows me to rapidly enumerate birds to more rapidly detect disappearances that occurred during the previous day and also to detect health issues. Hens in pens used to collect eggs I walk into and touch birds in crop region from time to time to assess how well they fed. It also allows rapid checking of weight. Hens in poor health will often change roost location if they are feeling bad and new location often requires less jumping and flying.

I think what it all comes down to is has your questions as to "why is it bad for chickens to sleep in nesting boxs" to your satisfaction. We all have our specific reasons to or not to do what we can for our flock. There are many valid reasons to not let your flock sleep in the nest box BUT you have to do what works for you. Myself, I had to block of the nest box(s) to keep my pullets out, they were fouling (pun intended) the boxes at night to the point they needed to be changed daily which also disrupted the daily laying because the box was "new" every day.

I noticed my new hens sleeping in the nesting boxes. I have been cleaning the boxes daily and they seem to be fine in there. They are 23 weeks now and laying ! The only problem I am having is my older hen doesn't like the new younger hens and started sleeping out in the roost. I've put her back in the coop a few times but she keeps going back out. It looks like she is not the boss anymore and is upset !!!

I have a mixed flock, of ages. Half are 3 years and under, and the other half are 5+ in age. I have a particularly small coop for 8 birds, but I make it work. My coop is kinda like a small square room, a bit taller then a house door. It is 3ft by 3ft, but its 9 feet going up. Each nesting box on each side is big enough for 3 chickens comfortably, and I have a roost that stretches across the middle of the coop. I also have 5 nest boxes above the roosts, that they lay all the eggs in. Now, about 5 of the chickens sleep on the roost, and the 2 older ones, plus my rooster, like to sleep in the lower nesting boxes. Every now and then I come out in the morning to let them out and 2 chickens are in the nesting boxes above the roosts. I've heard that it is bad for chickens to sleep in nesting boxes. Why is this? It would be fairly tight in my coop if everyone was on a roost. Plus I have some 7-8 year old hens, and they don't want to jump to the roosts. What do you think, is okay to let them sleep in the nesting boxes, or should I install more roosts and start putting the older ones up there? Thanks, Avery
Mine don't roost in the winter, they curl up in a box nice and cozy. My eggs are not covered in poop..they hardly need wiping off. I let my girls decide what they want to do as their comfort is the most important thing to me. If I have to clean a bit more. So be it. I have a tiny rake and I just rake the poop out. I'm in rural Canada where it gets - 20 regularly and can get alot colder.

Back
Top Bottom