why is it that all I can hatch out are males?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gamebirdsonly, Apr 10, 2008.

1. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    I can not figure it out. it's fine if I hatch out mostly roosters for pheasants or other game birds but not for chickens don't make no money for chicken roosters usaully have to just give them away and I hate wasting money on them until they are big enough to get rid of. anybody have ways to hatch out more Hens?

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Oh I wish there was an easy answer. Mine seem to be 50/50. I hatched out 6 of my EE's 5 girls, one boy. Then I hatched out 6 of my RIR mix...5 boys, ONE girl. UGH! My grandpa used to say [​IMG] " A pointy egg will give ya a rooster" Im not too sure on that tho. LOL

3. siz8003

siz8003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Fitz.,NH
    I have the same problem ....all boys darn it [​IMG] why try [​IMG]

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Sometimes we just got bad luck like that. It's the hen that determines gender, so maybe you have a few hens that really like to throw boys.

5. scgamecock

scgamecock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    Gamebird, does it look like you got a lot of roo's from my egg's?

6. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    I've been wondering about this also. Its been documented that temperature during incubation of crocodile (or was it alligator?) eggs effects the sex of the hatch-lings.

Anyone with an extremely precise temperature controlled incubator with some free time on their hands want to do an experiment?

7. sara

sara Title Needed Here

If you figure it out, please let me know. I may have 1 pullet in the nursery coop out of 13 babies. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by