Why is my chick chirping ?

Jz8899

In the Brooder
Aug 7, 2020
Hi, just got my chick today, they’re fine in the day time, but when it gets dark they start chirping constantly and trying to fly out of the cage. What is wrong?

Attachments

• BDFD57DD-D1AE-4A35-BA18-C3FCE34A3F05.jpeg
    BDFD57DD-D1AE-4A35-BA18-C3FCE34A3F05.jpeg
    642.1 KB · Views: 17
No, they just bunched up together, it gets pretty windy here and the coop is not insulated. I covered it with tent so it would be a little better for them.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    397.1 KB · Views: 14
What kind of chirp? Incessant, sharp and loud chirps (like an alarm) or kind of a sing sing trill? Chicks will often make "pillow talk" sounds when they're ready to sleep.

sharp and loud. I have a video can’t post it here
Probably cold. It's good you insulated them, but they also like to be covered. Do you have a box of some sort you could set on its side with some paper towels, wood chips or shredded paper? Even a shoe box would work. Something to act like a nest for them to nestle into and stay warm.

Chicks require it to be pretty warm and are usually moved outside when they're fully feather (6-8 weeks) and outdoor temps don't drop below 50f.

Yes, Gave them a big Cardboard box, But they won’t use it
As cute as they are chicks are also pretty dumb. Put 'em in and put some sort of lid over it--just be sure to include ventilation and make sure it won't get too hot. It will take a few days for them to learn that's where they're supposed to sleep (this also applies to when they move into a new coop).

Yes, Gave them a big Cardboard box, But they won’t use it
What is your setup like? Your brooder setup? Where are you located? Temps outside? I’m assuming you have them out not in? It might be a good idea to consider indoors if you have a wind problem at the moment? I don’t know. Need more details. Chicks don’t like to be in the complete darkness when they are tiny if they are also cold. You need to think heat lamp or a heat source like an indirect heat source that is a heating pad or radiant heat source unit which is much more fire safe when used in barns or brooder pens or many types. I’m gonna need to know what your setup and environment conditions are though before I can help you. Did you just get the chicks on the fly? Have you owned them before at all?

What is your setup like? Your brooder setup? Where are you located? Temps outside? I’m assuming you have them out not in? It might be a good idea to consider indoors if you have a wind problem at the moment? I don’t know. Need more details. Chicks don’t like to be in the complete darkness when they are tiny if they are also cold. You need to think heat lamp or a heat source like an indirect heat source that is a heating pad or radiant heat source unit which is much more fire safe when used in barns or brooder pens or many types. I’m gonna need to know what your setup and environment conditions are though before I can help you. Did you just get the chicks on the fly? Have you owned them before at all?
All these answers, plus how old are the chicks? That'll help solve the problem.

Back
Top Bottom