Why is my chick sitting like this?

Jun 25, 2020
Pakistan, Lahore
Hello!! So have a baby chick and I went to check up on it and saw it sitting like this (I attached the photos with this post)
she can’t seem to balance herself and this happened yesterday during the evening as well but after a while when I went to check again she was back to normal! But now she is like this again, she didn’t get hurt either so I am really confused on what it is and I what I should do.
(Also I did some research and the only thing that I found that is the closest to its condition is “spraddle leg”)

Attachments

• IMG_0020.jpeg
    IMG_0020.jpeg
    670.7 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0019.jpeg
    IMG_0019.jpeg
    908.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Hello!! So have a baby chick and I went to check up on it and saw it sitting like this (I attached the photos with this post)
she can’t seem to balance herself and this happened yesterday during the evening as well but after a while when I went to check again she was back to normal! But now she is like this again, she didn’t get hurt either so I am really confused on what it is and I what I should do.
(Also I did some research and the only thing that I found that is the closest to its condition is “spraddle leg”)
Hello! How old is your chick? Also, is it a chicken or game fowl? That beak looks quite interesting!

I'm not an expert but I would try giving it a vitamin boost while you are waiting for someone with more knowledge. Do you have something like nuitridrench available?

Hello!!! So just wanted to give an update, the chick is fine now and she is walking around alright but I still want to know what could have happened to it since the same thing happened yesterday, we (me and our maid) have a hunch that this might have happened due to overeating or drinking too much water, since yesterday and today as well it was fine after pooping, but please do let me know what you all think! 💕

Attachments

• IMG_0021.jpeg
    IMG_0021.jpeg
    823.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0022.jpeg
    IMG_0022.jpeg
    815 KB · Views: 10
Hello!!! So just wanted to give an update, the chick is fine now and she is walking around alright but I still want to know what could have happened to it since the same thing happened yesterday, we (me and our maid) have a hunch that this might have happened due to overeating or drinking too much water, since yesterday and today as well it was fine after pooping, but please do let me know what you all think! 💕
Glad to hear it's doing better! How is it's stool? Are you able to share a picture? The poop can say a lot about a birds health. If you don't mind me asking, where did you get the chick? And do you have/plan to get some siblings for it? Fowl in general are very social animals and need friends :)

The coloring of the chick reminds me of an Easter Egger, but that beak is fascinating! Also, is the baby eating well?

For future reference, sometimes vitamin deficiencies can cause hock sitting or balance issues. The most common ones are riboflavin and thiamine. Whenever this is a symptom then supplementing the B vitamins is a good idea, and it's very safe, extra will be excreted, you don't have to worry about too much. For a little one like this probably 1/4 tablet of a B complex (human ones) would be adequate. If they are eating you can grind it up and mix it into a bit of moistened feed, so the vitamin sticks to it.

For future reference, sometimes vitamin deficiencies can cause hock sitting or balance issues. The most common ones are riboflavin and thiamine. Whenever this is a symptom then supplementing the B vitamins is a good idea, and it's very safe, extra will be excreted, you don't have to worry about too much. For a little one like this probably 1/4 tablet of a B complex (human ones) would be adequate. If they are eating you can grind it up and mix it into a bit of moistened feed, so the vitamin sticks to it.
I agree with this. B complex vitamins are very good to keep around for chick problems and you can use them yourself. Since you live in Pakistan, are you using a balanced complete chicken starter ?

Back
Top Bottom