Why is my chicken honking ?

jrbrockleman

Hatching
May 10, 2015
Kansas
So. I have 10 pullets. Or so I think. And when I go to pick them up they all peep and cheep. But one honks!! That's the only way I can think to explain the sound. They are 9 weeks old. Do roosters honk? Or do I just have a wanna be duck on my hands? Lol

KendyF

Songster
5 Years
Jun 18, 2014
Rooster chicks do sometimes make a different noise than the pullets. I don't know if I would describe it as honking. :) A lower clucking sound.

Last edited:

jrbrockleman

Hatching
May 10, 2015
Kansas
Hahah yeah I'm new to chickens. I guess I could also say it's a fast deeper honk/bock. The other ones still just sound high pitch and sweet. Cheep cheep peep peep. Thank for your reply!!

KendyF

Songster
5 Years
Jun 18, 2014
Good luck with your new flock! Welcome to the addiction.
wee.gif

Lost Bird

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 8, 2014
North Texas
My chicks are 4 months old now and they started honking about a month ago. To the best of my knowledge they are all female.

I miss the beeping/peeping, but the honking cracks me up.

This is my first flock so I have no real advice, just wanted to share that mine are honking too, albeit quite a bit older.

Moojoo

Hatching
5 Years
Jul 9, 2014
Mine all did that at around 3-4 months old. I've got a wyandotte who's been honking for about a week, she's just short of 4 months old. I presume it's just their little chicken voices changing, and the honking is the intermediary between the peeps and the clucks.

Top Bottom