1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

WHY is my chicken so LOUD!!?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hensandchickscolorado, Sep 25, 2011.

1. hensandchickscolorado

hensandchickscolorado Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Englewood Colorado
    I have a 21 week old Barred Rock. Not laying yet [​IMG]. However, she squawks so loudly ALL THE TIME that I can hear her from my house, which is a large backyard away from the coop. I'm afraid the neighbors are going to complain.

Is this normal?

At first, I thought it was when she saw me coming to the coop (wanting to get out to free-range). But nope, as I type this indoors, I can hear her.

I don't think she has anything wrong with her; she is eating & drinking and very active.

Does she just have an egg stuck up her butt, or what??!!!??!

2. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    Some girls are just squawkers.
    Out of 23, I have three that are just obnoxious.

Which reminds me of the rhyme:
    Whistling girls and cackling hens,
    both come to no good ends.

3. Wildflower_VA

Wildflower_VA Chillin' With My Peeps

They get very loud right before they start to lay. This was a more consistent clue that they were near laying than squatting. Only a couple of them squatted, all them got loud. My very quiet black Australorp girls got so loud at first I was afraid the neighbors would complain, and I am out in the country on two acres. Then I wanted to be the person that complained! LOL It was more than just practicing the egg song, which they also did. It only lasted about a month after they started to lay, then they quieted back down except when they lay an egg and sing the egg song, and that is not as loud as it was at first.

4. Lucysmom002

Lucysmom002 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Wisconsin
    my BR hen has a really big mouth too~! HAHAHA

5. exop

exop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    When my chickens want to lay, but can't for some reason, they complain in a very grating voice - something like RAAAAHK RAAAHK RAAAHK (pause for breath) RAAAAAHK RAAAHK RAAHK RAAAAHK

This might be because someone else is in their favorite nesting box, or I've put them in a new pen and they want to lay in their old pen, or maybe "their enemy" (another hen) is hanging around and making them too nervous to proceed. I can't say if it's just a ticked off sound, or if it means "owww I really have to lay an egg now I really need to I can feel it!!! darn it!!"

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Good posts. Then..... like people, sometimes you just get the occasional "nut job" who is not as confident, stable or flat out sane as the others. Hey, it happens. [​IMG]

7. JHillgrove

JHillgrove Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    Quote:Hahahaa Mine Too!

8. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    I'm glad to see this thread because I've been wondering about one of my golden comets. At first the loud squawking was cute, then it became annoying, and now has been causing me to wonder if there is something wrong with her! It's good to hear others have chickens that do this and she's probably ok. (Although not so good to know that she's going to keep on squawking!!)

9. BirdEggs

BirdEggs Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2011
    Central Mass
    I have 4 golden comets, and one or two of them squawk a lot. I can sometimes hear them when I am relaxing in the bathtub. I really hope that the neighbors can't hear it as much as I can [​IMG]

10. Chicka-boom Chicka-boom

Chicka-boom Chicka-boom Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2011
    I'm glad to read this thread too! My hens usually become talkative when I come outside which seemed cute at first [​IMG] but lately my black Australorp is getting very loud and annoying. I hope the neighbours don't hear it and complain. But as Wildflower said, they get very loud right before they start to lay, and I am expecting mine to start laying anytime. That would be a double blessing - eggs plus quieter hens! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by