Why is my drakes bill bloody underneath the skin?

Fangeddeer

Songster
Apr 23, 2023
I don’t know how to say this, but I found him with a bloody beak. He wasn’t like that ever before..so why now?

Attachments

• IMG_2409.jpeg
    IMG_2409.jpeg
    267.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2411.jpeg
    IMG_2411.jpeg
    364 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2413.jpeg
    IMG_2413.jpeg
    337.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2414.jpeg
    IMG_2414.jpeg
    323 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2415.jpeg
    IMG_2415.jpeg
    288.9 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
it doesn’t look too bad and they are good at healing. it looks like he’s been sticking his bill through poultry fence holes ? my geese sometimes get similar scrapes doing that. or possibly got into a scuffle with another drake? or perhaps a rodent?

it doesn’t look too bad and they are good at healing. it looks like he’s been sticking his bill through poultry fence holes ? my geese sometimes get similar scrapes doing that. or possibly got into a scuffle with another drake? or perhaps a rodent?
Maybe a rodent, because I don’t have holes that he could get into that I know of. They’re in a shed. And the other drake loves him so it’s very confusing.

I’m just worried it’s some kind of illness

heres the advice I was given 3 years ago when my ganders bill was bloody
""The extent of the injuries appear merely superficial; repeated application of an antibacterial ointment such as Neosporin, or a poultry spray will likely suffice. If you wish, you can apply a hydrogel dressing over the wound to prevent the bill from bacterial, and debris contamination until it clots further.""

if you use a neosporin type ointment be sure to use the plain kind, NOT the kind with pain relief added
i didnt want to get spray in his eyes so i sprayed a cotton ball and then dabbed it on (vetericyn)

edit to add
oh yeah and if you can look around to see if theres any holes under anything where he might be sticking his bill and getting scrapes

Back
Top Bottom