Why is my duck limping?

sierraforest

Songster
Oct 19, 2019
Willamette Valley, OR
Connie suddenly began limping and trying not to put any weight on her right foot. It looks a bit more swollen than her left foot (see photos for both) but it doesn't look like bumblefoot...I don't think. I've read about bumblefoot so I know that fixing it requires cutting out the infection but I don't think there's anything to cut out here because it looks like skin. I could be totally wrong though.

Does anyone have experience with something like this and knows what it is? I noticed a tiny little yellow protrusion near the front of her right foot but it's hard for me to know if it's related. Her other foot doesn't have that. Neither of our ducks have suffered any injuries in a while and nothing seems to have happened today (we've been home all day).

Attachments

• right-foot.JPG
    right-foot.JPG
    257.7 KB · Views: 30
  • left-foot.JPG
    left-foot.JPG
    324.8 KB · Views: 15
  • right-foot-front.jpg
    right-foot-front.jpg
    492.4 KB · Views: 16
I'd love to hear from anyone with specifics about how to treat the bumblefoot. I read through the link shared up above and found useful info but details like how much epsom salt to add to how much warm water, etc. would be helpful.

We're doing an epsom salt soak now and will clean with iodine, colloidal silver, and essential oils on rotation. Sifting through all the info online is a task in itself, so I appreciate hearing from folks who've successfully dealt with this before.

Last edited:
I use the directions on the bag or box of Epsom salt and warm water. Just don’t let the duck drink the water. It’s also a laxative. I ended up having to take my Runner to the vet with her bumble because I wasn’t even sure it was bumble since all other bumbles I had felt with had a scab this one did not . So she was put on an antibiotic and meloxicam after 7 days I used a scalpel and put a tiny slit and popped the bumble out. Then she finished her antibiotic. With one with a scab soaking until you can pull the scab off easily is best it may take some days Before it is ready.

I use the directions on the bag or box of Epsom salt and warm water. Just don’t let the duck drink the water. It’s also a laxative. I ended up having to take my Runner to the vet with her bumble because I wasn’t even sure it was bumble since all other bumbles I had felt with had a scab this one did not . So she was put on an antibiotic and meloxicam after 7 days I used a scalpel and put a tiny slit and popped the bumble out. Then she finished her antibiotic. With one with a scab soaking until you can pull the scab off easily is best it may take some days Before it is ready.
I'm hoping we caught it early enough to take care of on our own. It doesn't look like there's any kind of scab, which was the main reason I initially thought it wasn't bumblefoot, but like you said apparently it can look different. I had no idea. Without a scab, will there always be something to pop out or in some cases will the infection heal and clear without more intervention beyond foot soaks and topical applications of various things?

Hi again, I'd love to know what anyone else would do in our situation.

The duck I posted about initially is Connie—the photos in my original post are of her feet—but our other one, Julie, also had some small spots that looked suspicious. Attached here are photos of both pairs of feet.

What I mean by asking what others would do is, how/where would you try cutting? Or would you try scraping...? I've read posts by others where they talk about scraping, which is why I mention that. Having never dealt with bumblefoot before, I'm finding it tough to decide how to proceed and I definitely don't want to do the wrong thing.

We've been doing daily epsom salt soaks followed by iodine and then alternating between applying colloidal silver gel, an essential oil mix, Vetericyn Plus, and Green Goo animal first aid. Neither duck has limped since the very first time Connie did, when I posted on 6/11, and neither one seems bothered by walking, swimming, etc. They're both eating like normal, laying eggs as usual, etc.

Attachments

• duck-feet.png
    duck-feet.png
    5.8 MB · Views: 12
Hi, there! :frow

Just checking in to see how your bird is doing. Updates to these type of threads are quite useful for people in the future experiencing the same problem.

Back
Top Bottom