Why is my finger turning black?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Rusty Hills Farm, Dec 31, 2009.

1. Rusty Hills Farm

Rusty Hills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Up at the barn
    I wear a 24-carat gold wedding band and the skin above it and below it is suddenly turning black. The black washes off but then reappears a few hours later. Am I too acidic? Too alkaline?

If I'm too alkaline, I could always take more vitamin C but what do i do if I'm too acidic? Or is there some other explanation that I'm missing here?

[​IMG]

Rusty

2. babylady4

babylady4 Mother Goose

Mar 30, 2009
    Central WI
  3. Rusty Hills Farm

Apr 3, 2008
    Up at the barn
    Now THAT never occurred to me!

Thank you!

[​IMG]

Rusty

4. the4heathernsmom

the4heathernsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    east texas
    hmmm that's weird

5. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Quote:That would sense, except hers washes off. If it were due to capillaries breaking under the skin, I don't think it would wash off.

6. babylady4

babylady4 Mother Goose

Mar 30, 2009
    Central WI
    I was thinking that too, but since it is 24k gold the other metal alloys would not be an issue......

Interesting....

7. babylady4

babylady4 Mother Goose

Mar 30, 2009
    Central WI
    Could be a possibility of cosmetics coming into contact with the gold and forming an abrasive layer next to the skin; this can cause the gold to flake off.

8. Rusty Hills Farm

Apr 3, 2008
    Up at the barn
    Quote:Er, I'm a guy, so I don't wear cosmetics. [​IMG] I can't think of any chemicals I have been using either. I'm gonna try upping the iron levels in my diet (gonna have to research what to add) and see if that helps any. This week is the first time this has ever happened. I've been eating a TON of turkey this week. Don't think I've had any red meat all week. Doesn't red meat have a lot of iron in it? Maybe that's the problem?

TY!

Rusty

9. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Yes, red meat is where you can get your iron.

10. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Quote:Er, I'm a guy, so I don't wear cosmetics. [​IMG] I can't think of any chemicals I have been using either. I'm gonna try upping the iron levels in my diet (gonna have to research what to add) and see if that helps any. This week is the first time this has ever happened. I've been eating a TON of turkey this week. Don't think I've had any red meat all week. Doesn't red meat have a lot of iron in it? Maybe that's the problem?

TY!

Rusty

Cosmetics doesn't cause the gold to flake off, it just turns the finger a greenish color. But, since you do not wear it [​IMG] it could be iron. Never heard of iron being a problem with gold. Red meat has alot of iron in it.

How long have you had the ring? My husband got into something once that did his that way, but I can't remember for the life of me what it was. It had to of been some kind of chemical, because he is always into something cleaning those motors.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by