Why is my hen acting tipsy?

Sonia Gawlas

Chirping
6 Years
Oct 13, 2017
Recently ive noticed my hens been kind of standing in place all puffed up, other than that shes been eating and drinking fine its just that shes been acting kinda sick. Shes done this before as well as my other chickens and usually it passes and soon they’re back to normal so I thought that maybe this was the case with her. Today i noticed shes been acting as if she were drunk, she kind of stumbles and has a hard time jumping up on things and keeping her balance, i read online and thought that maybe she has mareks disease, but it doesnt seem like paralysis and she doesnt have any of the other symptoms is just thats shes puffed up and walking kind of funny.

Have you inserted a clean finger into her vent 1-2 inches to check for a stuck egg? Does she normally lay eggs? How does her crop feel? Is she eating or drinking? What do her poops look like? Is one leg or both leg not working normally?

Is this all the time and does stare upwards? Also what type of chicken and how old?
i havent noticed her to be staring upwards, she acts and looks fine other than the puffiness and the stumbling, shes about 2 years old and shes a silver lace im pretty sure

Have you inserted a clean finger into her vent 1-2 inches to check for a stuck egg? Does she normally lay eggs? How does her crop feel? Is she eating or drinking? What do her poops look like? Is one leg or both leg not working normally?
she hasn’t been laying eggs for a while now, and she wont let me pet/touch or pick her up so i wouldn’t know how her crop feels, it seems to be both legs its not like shes limping its just that she kinda sways when shes standing straight and she uses her wings to try and balance herself and as for her poops, i havent really seen her poo but i will be checking

Is there any chance she's molting? Mine walked like she was three sheets to the wind during her molt. If you think that might be the case, there are some threads if you search for 'drunk chicken', including mine.

On the thread I linked to, you can see the recommendation for some B vitamins, which did work in my case. If yours is eating, might not be the same issue. Good luck!

Is there any chance she's molting? Mine walked like she was three sheets to the wind during her molt. If you think that might be the case, there are some threads if you search for 'drunk chicken', including mine.
On the thread I linked to, you can see the recommendation for some B vitamins, which did work in my case. If yours is eating, might not be the same issue. Good luck!
I’m not sure about the molting, the first time she’s ever molted her feathers grew back really ragged and messed up which i linked to why she doesn’t like being touched, I made a post about it before and still don’t know why that is but she has never really had a problem with it she is a very lively and healthy chicken usually so we stopped worrying. Thank you for the link and recommendations ill be sure to check those out!

Back
Top Bottom