Why is my hen eating paint?

jeepone

Chirping
Aug 1, 2020
We have a one year old Golden Comet hen that peels pain off the house and eats it. She's like a toddler! If you go to take a big piece away from her she swallow it as fast as she can.

The house is cinderblock with a stucco-like exterior. We had it painted a few years ago but some places are starting to peel again.

Anyone else ever experience this?

BTW......I had a hard time figuring out which topic to post this under.

We have a one year old Golden Comet hen that peels pain off the house and eats it. She's like a toddler! If you go to take a big piece away from her she swallow it as fast as she can.

The house is cinderblock with a stucco-like exterior. We had it painted a few years ago but some places are starting to peel again.

Anyone else ever experience this?

BTW......I had a hard time figuring out which topic to post this under.
My chickens eat Styrofoam any chance they get. Could you put a chicken wire or rabbit wire fence around it?

It's very likely shes lacking in calcium. I know it's an odd comparison but pregnant women sometimes crave not-supposed-to-be edible things like dirt, chalk, ice, rocks, etc. Its called Pica I think... While chickens are not human, mammals, or necessarily "pregnant" they do require calcium and other trace minerals so they can lay eggs efficiently. Give her some oyster shell or dried/crushed eggshells. That should solve the problem :D :fl

It's very likely shes lacking in calcium. I know it's an odd comparison but pregnant women sometimes crave not-supposed-to-be edible things like dirt, chalk, ice, rocks, etc. Its called Pica I think... While chickens are not human, mammals, or necessarily "pregnant" they do require calcium and other trace minerals so they can lay eggs efficiently. Give her some oyster shell or dried/crushed eggshells. That should solve the problem :D :fl
Mine at least have free access to both oyster shell and crushed eggshells. They still like to eat the house occasionally😒 Heaven forbid they walk the 20 seconds or so back to the run to eat them though.🙄

She has oyster she'll readily available in the coop. And I bake and crush chicken and Guinea egg shells and feed them back.

Back
Top Bottom