Why is my installed fan still functioning as a still air?

kvmommy

Songster
9 Years
Jan 2, 2011
I installed a computer fan in my LG incubator and at first I was registering consistent temps throughout...or it seemed. But when I went to lockdown and lowered my eggs from the turner the temp changed and I had to adjust. Almost screwed up my hatch big time. Why would it not work? Any ideas? The fan is definitely running. Its on a 5v charger.

The turner motor generates a little heat. When you pull it out, that extra heat source is gone and a small adjustment may be needed. With mine, I take out the turner, walk away for about 2 hours, come back and look. Sometimes I have to bump it up just a fraction to make up the difference, sometimes not.

That definitely could be part of it, but the temp on the floor is several degrees lower than at the top of the eggs.

I have been told you should NOT be running a fan during lockdown because you will dry out the membrane and shrinkwrap the chicks after they've pipped. The difference in temps between the top of the eggs and floor in my LG are about 2.8 degrees. It is about the same in my hovabator.Oh yeah , duh I forgot hot air rises and cooler air sinks, that would explain it.
tongue.png

Last edited:
I think the fan is supposed to blow down not up, at least thats what every one eleses does, your suposed to be blowing down the hot air not pulling it up.

It could be the bator its self, LG's are famous for that, the one I had would go hay wire when you pushed the humidity up that high, thats why I dont have it anymore to.

Back
Top Bottom