Why is my Pekin duck "sneezing"?

So many bacteria, and maybe you're dealing with one that's resistant to doxycycline? Your vet might have a reason for not prescribing Baytril. Mine prescribes it, but made me sign a waiver saying that I will never eat the eggs or meat from a bird treated with it.

-Kathy

We don't eat our eggs or our birds, so that's not a problem. What does that mean for hatching eggs?

So many bacteria, and maybe you're dealing with one that's resistant to doxycycline? Your vet might have a reason for not prescribing Baytril. Mine prescribes it, but made me sign a waiver saying that I will never eat the eggs or meat from a bird treated with it.

-Kathy

We don't eat our eggs or our birds, so that's not a problem. What does that mean for hatching eggs?

Many of my peahens have been treated with Baytril and their eggs hatch, so I would say that it's okay, but I'm not a vet. :D

Kathy

Hmm I sure wish my farm vet would have told me about the Baytril/not eating eggs. I love our duck eggs for baking and with no way to tell who laid what..I guess no more duck eggs for me
1f615.png

Very useful. I had no idea this was in the same class as Cipro. Cipro used to be very widely use because it has a very broad spectrum, but broad spectrum doesn't count for much if bacteria have developed resistance to the drug. Bacteria have developed resistance to the broader spectrum drugs to the point that it's difficult to know how to treat anything anymore unless you know precisely what you're dealing with and use a targeted medication.

The vet feels it may be a Mycoplasma and is hoping it's not Aspergillosis. Sending a fecal out and starting doxy for 2 weeks. She was very honest in saying if the doxy doesn't clear it up with everything else that's been tried, it's likely fungal. If there is no improvement by the end of treatment we will cull. Oh, I also now have a $150 duck..

The vet feels it may be a Mycoplasma and is hoping it's not Aspergillosis. Sending a fecal out and starting doxy for 2 weeks. She was very honest in saying if the doxy doesn't clear it up with everything else that's been tried, it's likely fungal. If there is no improvement by the end of treatment we will cull. Oh, I also now have a $150 duck..

Hmm. I'm surprised she didn't suggest Tylan if she thinks it's mycoplasma. Oh well, I'm not a vet.

This is a sensitivity report that a friend of mine had done on peachick with a respiratory infection. The two bacteria are ones I have seen in some of my necropsy reports and the test result are similar:

(enrofloxacin = Baytril)

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom