Why is my pullet doing this?

Silkie Princess

Crossing the Road
Jun 24, 2021
Slovakia, Europe
My Coop
My Coop
Please help me! I have a question. My 18week old silkie pullet started doing a wierd kind of crowing thing (not actual crowing)(where she tilts back ger head opens her beak kind of yawns and then closes it again then does it a few more times) mabye a month ago? I dont like it. One of the cockrells does it too. I am starting to get concerned please help me!

Here are schreenshots of the video I was not able to post😑

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210917_145109_com.huawei.himovie.overseas.jpg
    Screenshot_20210917_145109_com.huawei.himovie.overseas.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20210917_145119_com.huawei.himovie.overseas.jpg
    Screenshot_20210917_145119_com.huawei.himovie.overseas.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20210917_145131_com.huawei.himovie.overseas.jpg
    Screenshot_20210917_145131_com.huawei.himovie.overseas.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 2
Some of my chickens do this, almost as if they're clearing their throats? Have you treated for worms? or looked into gape worms? It's hard to tell from just a picture.

I also have a chicken who does it and is completely fine, cleared by a vet on my part.

They do that when they are adjusting their crop. As long as it’s intermittent now and again and not constant, it’s normal. If it’s all the time or there is wheezing or weird noises, I’d look into gapeworm (Google). Weird smell, sour crop. Guessing they’re adjusting though.

Please help me! I have a question. My 18week old silkie pullet started doing a wierd kind of crowing thing (not actual crowing)(where she tilts back ger head opens her beak kind of yawns and then closes it again then does it a few more times) mabye a month ago? I dont like it. One of the cockrells does it too. I am starting to get concerned please help me!

She does it around two times a day (mabye more). I am thinking about giving her a dewormer. Pumpkin, carrots, garlic? And should the pumpkin and carrot be raw or cooked? @Wyorp Rock

Also her eyelids are stuck together but ive dealt with that before. Just putting an eye cream for people on it
For video, upload to youtube and provide a link.

In the photos it looks like she's yawning or making an action to adjust her crop.

Check her crop first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink. It should be empty.

Make sure to look inside her beak for any lesions, canker or yellow/white pasty material or bad smell.

I would not necessarily think this is gapeworm, since she only does this around twice a day. Birds with gapeworm will be gap continually, they don't eat/drink, etc.

What's going on with the eye getting crusty and stuck? Does she need some feathers trimmed away from her eyes? This may help resolve that issue.

Back
Top Bottom