Why is my Rooster so aggressive???

Sep 22, 2020
Texas United States
I have this 3 month old Roundhead Silver Pheonix mix. He is super aggressive to my dogs and my other young chicks, But he would not dare to touch me. Plus I have raised him from birth. Do you think he will grow out of this behavior? I really hope he does because he is the love of my life and I dont tolerate aggression towards the hens.

It just depends on the rooster. Sometimes breed does play into it. I know Dominiques are known to be aggressive and most phoenixes to my knowledge are used as fighting birds. He maaaaaay grow out of it. Before you decide to get rid of him, try putting him in solitary. I had a super aggressive rooster that was trying to kill another one of my boys. I put him in a cage by himself away from everyone for a month or so maybe two and I haven’t had an issue since.

I might sound crazy but I've raised him inside my house. He still sleeps in my room till this day.(Getting my new coop for him on Sunday) You see I bought him like 8 hens so he could have some girls but they are a month younger then him. So they are still in the brooder but I would slowly introduce one by one to him and each one he would kick and peck at them. Its really weird because he does this to all my animals but people. One time he even drew blood from a hen. And I really dont wanna get rid of him....but I might have too.
It just depends on the rooster. Sometimes breed does play into it. I know Dominiques are known to be aggressive and most phoenixes to my knowledge are used as fighting birds. He maaaaaay grow out of it. Before you decide to get rid of him, try putting him in solitary. I had a super aggressive rooster that was trying to kill another one of my boys. I put him in a cage by himself away from everyone for a month or so maybe two and I haven’t had an issue since.

Did you raise this rooster all by himself, with no other chickens when he was young?

If a chicken doesn't learn how to interact with chickens while young, they could have a much harder time learning it later.

I might sound crazy but I've raised him inside my house. He still sleeps in my room till this day.(Getting my new coop for him on Sunday) You see I bought him like 8 hens so he could have some girls but they are a month younger then him. So they are still in the brooder but I would slowly introduce one by one to him and each one he would kick and peck at them. Its really weird because he does this to all my animals but people. One time he even drew blood from a hen. And I really dont wanna get rid of him....but I might have too.
How old are the hens? You might try the look but don’t touch method to see if that helps. My way wouldn’t work then because my roo was just being greedy. If worst comes to worst you could always despur him.

You might try the look but don’t touch method to see if that helps.

I agree.

He had a sister. But sadly lost her at 2 weeks....

Sounds like this cockerel needs practice dealing with other chickens. Setting up a separate pen for him, where he can see the others but cannot peck them, could let him practice his social skills without any of them getting hurt. A piece of hardware cloth or chicken wire makes a good divider between pens for this purpose, so they can clearly see and hear each other but cannot go through.

Did you raise this rooster all by himself, with no other chickens when he was young?

If a chicken doesn't learn how to interact with chickens while young, they could have a much harder time learning it later.
That honestly could be the reason for the way he acts
I agree.

Sounds like this cockerel needs practice dealing with other chickens. Setting up a separate pen for him, where he can see the others but cannot peck them, could let him practice his social skills without any of them getting hurt. A piece of hardware cloth or chicken wire makes a good divider between pens for this purpose, so they can clearly see and hear each other but cannot go through.
Ok thats sounds like a good idea. I will try that

I would get him in with the hens ASAP where they have time to teach him manners before his hormones have him take control. Like, yesterday.... see but don’t touch and free range as soon as you can together.

Back
Top Bottom