Why is my turkey acting weird?

noonoo1i

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 26, 2012
London, UK
Hi, we rescued 2 female turkeys on Christmas eve. They have both started laying eggs but do not sit on them. They just drop them anywhere and carry on their business. This hasn't concerned us at all. But one of them does the strangest thing, if we go near her she will sit down, hiss and spread her wings on the floor. She is not scared of us as she will come in the house for food, in fact she will chase us until she gets some! It is as if it is an involuntary reaction, she won't get up and we can lift her up and she will remain in the same position even when we put her down. She will then get up as if nothing has happened but if we move suddenly towrds her she falls to the floor again. Sometimes she won't do it but it does happen more often than not. She eats, drinks and lays eggs OK and seems fit and healthy in every other way. Has anyone got a clue what this could be???

Are you new to poultry in general? I haven't had turkeys since I was a kid, but this sounds similar to the protection reflex that my hens have when I go to pick them up, except without the hissing. They will only do it when I'm right over top of them, bending down to pick them up. I knew they were mothering age when they started doing this, because it was like they were creating an umbrella for the chicks to run under when in danger.

welcome-byc.gif

Oh OK.
roll.png
so she loves me than. Bless her heart. I am going to make my boyfriend go in there and see if she does it to him as well or if it's just me she loves. LOL. Thanks for the replies. xx

Back
Top Bottom