Why is my young hen limping?

ChickenMom04

Songster
Oct 17, 2020
This is Queso. She’s about a year or less and I noticed she isn’t putting full weight on her foot this morning. I fed the rest of my flock and she seemed to hang back since one of my other hens was going after her when she got close to the food. Then she hobbled away and sat inside. She was fine yesterday. I caught her and checked her foot, and it appears her joint may be twisted or her toe could be broken. I don’t see a scab so I don’t think it’s bumblefoot. She’s my sweetest baby and I want to help her, especially since I nursed her back to health as she was the runt of the flock as a chick. What can I do? She seems to still have appetite. Her foot feels a little warmer than the other one but she doesn’t react much when I try to move the toe slightly. If I pull hee injured foot our front under her while she rests, she seems quite relaxed and falls asleep, making me think it hurts her to sit or stand on the foot.

42FCEE8E-3BDF-4621-B395-AB76D387904D.jpeg

F5C64938-08C6-4BBF-8557-F2F78D8C7273.jpeg

(Injured toe is crooked and far left)

Im leaving the state in 2 days and I’ll be a plane ride away from her. If this is too severe I’m afraid that our sitters will not be able to give her proper care.

Attachments

• 52E1640E-A663-41DE-A7A8-A4AFB473B748.jpeg
    52E1640E-A663-41DE-A7A8-A4AFB473B748.jpeg
    762.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Is your coop large enough to place a wire dog crate inside with secured food and water? That would be good to make sure that she is able to get food and water while limiting her activity. Your sitters would need to change her food and water daily, and be good for while you are gone.

Is your coop large enough to place a wire dog crate inside with secured food and water? That would be good to make sure that she is able to get food and water while limiting her activity. Your sitters would need to change her food and water daily, and be good for while you are gone.
We have 2 parts to our pen, one for younger chickens and one for older chickens. Their outside pen is available to both of them and they get along well. Usually her and the other 3 younger hens go to the same pen each night. However I think I could get a crate in one of the pens if necessary. Do you know the cause of her wounded toe? It appears that it’s broken but I’m not sure. I just want to make sure that if there’s a possibility it could get infected, I take the necessary precautions to keep her safe before leaving. Right now I have her separated in a pen with more straw (to make it easier on her foot) with food and water. She seems to be doing fine.

Back
Top Bottom