why is she doing this?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sandrachx, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Sandrachx

Sandrachx Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2007
    Chelsea, MI
    my buff orpington is picking up little sticks and leaves and trying to throw them on her back. why? she is 6 months old and just started laying. she was in the nesting box when i went in to check for eggs. when she saw me, she jumped out of the box, followed me out of the pen and then started doing the stick thing.

2. Sandrachx

Sandrachx Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2007
    Chelsea, MI
    oh - also, she is one of triplets i got in april. one of the girls (not sure which one - triplets are hard to tell apart) squats down, spreads her wings and freezes when i bend down and reach for her. does she think i'm a rooster?

3. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    3 of my girls did this right before they went broody. sooo im guessing shes either gathering the twigs and leaves for her nest

4. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    Quote:lol shes just in a submissive position and ready for mating. if this one isnt laying then she will be soon

5. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    My hens do the throwing of the nesting material on their backs too sometimes when they're sitting in the nest box getting ready to lay...I think it's just one of those things that they do. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by