Why is she laying like this?? Will she be ok?

Is she a red star (or just a red sex linked chicken, there is only one kind)? I have raised red stars and they tend to lay larger eggs and squat like that. But woah that is huge!

Yes she can be on layer feed. Some people with chicks and roosters mixed with hens, sometimes will feed everyone all flock feed instead, and provide extra calcium by putting out a container of crushed oyster shell so that they eat what they need frre choice. The difference between layer and all flock feed is that layer has 4% calcium, while all flock has 1%.

IMG_7265.JPG
Thank you everyone!
I was so worried, I checked her vent and everything looks fine.

The double yolk is so neat! It's the first time I seen one.. but I hope it's not an everyday thing. It seems so harsh for her little body.

Is she a red star (or just a red sex linked chicken, there is only one kind)? I have raised red stars and they tend to lay larger eggs and squat like that. But woah that is huge!

The lady I got her from said she was a Cinnamon queen?
I'm new to chickens.. so Im not really sure

Many of the productions reds are named something different by the hatcheries that sell them. I am not an expert on names, but you can Google some of those names for pictures and descriptions.

Good for her for getting that big giant egg out of her. Looks like you caught her in the final act of laying her egg. Yep, egg laying is a dramatic event and when you think of what it takes to get the egg from the start to the end, it is truly amazing. She's a young gal and once her system works out the kinks she'll get the hang of it.

Back
Top Bottom