Why is she quacking so much??

KikiDeAnime

Spooky
6 Years
Dec 29, 2017
Battle Ground, WA
Duchess has been quacking more than usual lately. I first thought she was quacking at Colonel since they're separated by a fence(due to him mounting her) but I kept seeing her do it when she was out free ranging with the chickens. She's been mostly doing it in the afternoon and evening but it's annoying my parents and they said they would get rid of her if I don't figure out how to quiet her down. Our neighbors don't mind her quacking, it's just my parents getting annoyed.
This is the first time she's started doing this. Before, she'd only quack if she saw me come outside, which meant to her that I was bringing treats.

Is there anything I could do to keep her quieter??

She's always lived with them though.
It sounds like she also lived with a male duck whom she is now separated from. She might like the chickens just fine but like how a chicken wouldn't love to only live with ducks, a duck wouldn't like to live with only chickens. You asked why is my duck suddenly quacking so much. Likely she's quacking so much because you took her drake away. A fix would be to get another hen duck. Other than that or rehoming her, I don't know what else you can do.

It's been a while since I've had runners. I don't remember them being too noisy except at feeding time. Maybe I misremember. If it's a case of just being a noisy breed then she'll have to rehome. I wouldn't think it'd hurt to get a friend first and try that.
I only have 2 that just seem to quack about nothing but it most mean something to them, And if they get separated they will quack for each other. Even if they are close just can’t see each other.

Last edited:
All of our runners have gone through a loud phase when they were young, don't know why. But they do eventually settle down. They still make a reasonable amount of noise but the screaming for no reason seems to stop just before they start laying eggs. Though there are loud ones in every bunch...thank goodness our neighbors have yet to complain.
She may also be missing your other duck. Can you set anything up so they can be together but seperated by a small barrier? Even a small fence a foot or so high has been enough for us to contain our drake when he's being too much for the girls.

My Pekin duck, Honey, quacks A LOT. She is the leader of her flock and she is always quacking or doing that squeaky thing they do while moving her head back and forth (I've been told that is a ducks way of saying, "Mine! Mine! Mine! Mine! Mine!", which makes me laugh every time I hear her do it now). She's like a toddler, I worry anytime she is quiet for too long, hahaha. She hasn't always been this loud. I believe it started when she realized that everyone would do what she does. They free range on my pond throughout the day and anytime she hears me outside but isn't close by, she starts almost a screaming quack. I feel like she wants me to know that she is coming and wants to make sure I don't put any possible food or treats away because she is coming as fast as she can. We have a pair of wild domestic Canada Geese and now, they have started the exact same thing, well except for the fact that they honk loudly because they don't really quack, hahaha! Maybe she feels less visible because it's just her instead of two of them or she could be exerting herself now that she is no longer with Colonel. I'm wishing you the best as I have no tips. Maybe if you start putting a positive spin on hearing it, like when she does it say something like, "She is so adorable. I just love her quacks. Hopefully once she gets accustomed to the changes of being without Colonel soon.". Keep things positive, if at all possible. Best wishes

Edited to add that I am lazy and didn't read previous replies. My apologies

Back
Top Bottom