Why is she sleeping in the nest box?

I forgot to check for mites and lice, but last night I took a picture of them. You can see Ruth in the box. It's on my phone so I'll post it later.

She may have just found out that sleeping in a comfy best box is more comfy than sitting on a perch. Sometimes I find poop in some of my nest boxes.

It’s really stinking cold here this week, (-30 C before windchill, which brings it to -41) and I have a dramatic silkie that would prefer to sleep in the nest box instead of up on the roosts when it’s “too” cold. Nobody else does it, only her, and only when it’s cold. Lol. The other silkie who thought it was a good idea to start molting in January is doing just fine up on the roost with everyone else. Chickens are so weird. :p

It’s really stinking cold here this week, (-30 C before windchill, which brings it to -41) and I have a dramatic silkie that would prefer to sleep in the nest box instead of up on the roosts when it’s “too” cold. Nobody else does it, only her, and only when it’s cold. Lol. The other silkie who thought it was a good idea to start molting in January is doing just fine up on the roost with everyone else. Chickens are so weird. :p
I would expect silkies to avoid roosts because of their lack of feathers to fly up to them.

My girls will not sleep anywhere near windows; fear of predators. They want to roost in a safe dark area. I had to cover my coop windows to get them to roost on the roost bars.
i have the open “windows” spaced between the height of the roosts and the boxes. the roosts are at 6-7 feet, the boxes are at 3 feet and the windows are at 4.5 feet...but the windows are facing east.

Back
Top Bottom