Why is she walking backwards??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickmomma18, Dec 11, 2014.

1. chickmomma18

chickmomma18 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2014
    Downingtown Pa
    I have a 20 week old chicken that is walking backwards. Almost as if she has no control. She will be standing there and suddenly going backwards as if involuntary

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    It could be a sign of a brain injury. Sometimes the pressure in the brain, if this is the case, will lower and she may become normal again. Make sure she has food and water. I had to help mine once by spoon feeding 3 times a day until he ate on his own, and put him in front of the water so he could see it.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    That can be connected with wry neck, and as SW said, it is usually some problem with the brain, such as with a vitamin deficiency, or injury. Try vitamins (including vitamin B1 thiamine, vitamin E, and selenium) daily.

4. chickmomma18

Sep 15, 2014
    Downingtown Pa
    I'm pretty sure it was a vitamin defiecncy.
    I switched all of their feed to the layer feed and have been putting vitimans/electrolytes in their water daily. In addition to that, I have her some dried cat food. In a mash.
    All of my gals ate up the layer feed like crazy!!! I was waiting until they were all at least 18 weeks old because I have some 18 some 20 weeks.
    She seems much better already!!!

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It's good to hear that she is better. I'm glad the vitamins have seemed to help. Later on, you might want to switch over to Poultry Booster Vitamins and Minerals for the feed, which do not contain the electrolytes.

6. chickmomma18

Sep 15, 2014
    Downingtown Pa
    Yes. I have that. The electrolytes are for stress. One my my other girls died and the weather has been fluctuating warm/cold. In addition to that...they have been spooked by some hawks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by