Why is she walking like this?

I'm not sure. I know clear, pale yellow fluid means ascites, and a brown opaque fluid means a reproductive infection.
I'll tag some people who should know, and may be more of a help. @azygous @Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive

I did not, I don't think I had any at the time and I wasn't nearly as knowledgeable about illnesses as I am now.

Hmm, Tylan50 is used more for respiratory issues. Something like Baytril or Amoxacillin would be better for something like this.
Very good you did the alcohol and neosporin, do that every time you drain. I failed to mention the alcohol when draining, I'm glad you did do it!
Thank you! I actually ordered amoxicillin after reading a post from Wyorp Rock. Hopefully I won't be needing it though. It'll get here in about 2-3 days. I'm going to get Chlorhexidine too and wash the area 2-3x a day until it heals.

What on earth is that obnoxious noise in the background of those videos? Is it construction noise that is not a normal everyday occurrence? I notice in both videos, this hen seems to react to the noise as she would a predator attack by semi-squatting with wings hunched. This is also what a hen does when suddenly confronted by an aggressive rooster when mating is not her volition.

Of course, my impression could be all wrong and she is having some sort of health issue, but hunching is not normally associated with ascites. By the way, ascites is a swelling between and in front of the legs. Swelling of the abdomen behind the legs and underneath the vent is usually excess fat.

Two months ago I asked about my 2.5-year-old RIR because she was walking a little funny, slouching with each step. I got some advice to give her calcium and she seemed fine the next day.

I switched the feed to a chick starter because of this. I don't give them too many treats. Just yogurt every few days and scratch grains every couple days.

I just drained about 50ml of fluid from her. It's dark yellow, which I think it does mean egg yolk peritonitis? Did you give your hen an antibiotic? I have Tylan 50 and I doused her with rubbing alcohol before and after and put Neosporin on the wound. Should I still give her Tylan?
Is she acting any better since you drained the fluid?

She may have something reproductive going on - Cancer, Tumors, etc. and/or organ failure, hard to know.

I'd try the Amoxicillin to see if that makes a difference, but to me, if she continues to decline, then it may be time to put her out of her misery. If you do, then since your Mom is wanting to process her, take photos of her organs, the abdominal cavity, reproductive system, etc. You may find some answers.

Here's your other thread, yes, at the time, it seemed she would benefit from extra Calcium. It seems she's much worse now than she was at the end of August.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/is-she-egg-bound.1596563/

I just drained about 50ml of fluid from her. It's dark yellow, which I think it does mean egg yolk peritonitis? Did you give your hen an antibiotic? I have Tylan 50 and I doused her with rubbing alcohol before and after and put Neosporin on the wound. Should I still give her Tylan?
It is hard to know what the exact cause of ascites is. The color of the fluid from yellow to dark amber, even almost greenish brown, is dependent on what is going on in the liver. The darker color is worse. Cloudy could mean infection or white blood cells. It is hard to know whether or not anti optics would help or not. If I was going to use them, amoxicillin or AquaMox would probably work better.

Is she acting any better since you drained the fluid?

She may have something reproductive going on - Cancer, Tumors, etc. and/or organ failure, hard to know.

I'd try the Amoxicillin to see if that makes a difference, but to me, if she continues to decline, then it may be time to put her out of her misery. If you do, then since your Mom is wanting to process her, take photos of her organs, the abdominal cavity, reproductive system, etc. You may find some answers.

Here's your other thread, yes, at the time, it seemed she would benefit from extra Calcium. It seems she's much worse now than she was at the end of August.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/is-she-egg-bound.1596563/
She's definitely walking normal now. I'm currently separating her and keeping her inside. My plan was to keep her in here until Thursday morning, but she seems pretty bored. Would it okay to let her back out as soon as tomorrow?

If you do give her amoxicillin, I just learned a nice trick yesterday. Mix your dose into about 1/2 tea spoon of coconut oil. Chill it in the fridge so it's not runny and put it in front of her.
My injured rooster loves it. Even a hen stole a little bite when I was giving it to him and then tried very hard to get more.
Small sample of 2 chickens, but they both love coconut oil in semi solid form.

If you do give her amoxicillin, I just learned a nice trick yesterday. Mix your dose into about 1/2 tea spoon of coconut oil. Chill it in the fridge so it's not runny and put it in front of her.
My injured rooster loves it. Even a hen stole a little bite when I was giving it to him and then tried very hard to get more.
Small sample of 2 chickens, but they both love coconut oil in semi solid form.
I'll just mix it in her wet feed. I think she may be overweight so I'm going to avoid giving her fatty foods and treats. I'm tempted to limit the amount of time I let them have food free choice too.

She's definitely walking normal now. I'm currently separating her and keeping her inside. My plan was to keep her in here until Thursday morning, but she seems pretty bored. Would it okay to let her back out as soon as tomorrow?
If she's not getting picked on, I would leave her with her flock.

She most likely has ascites, or some sort or reproductive issue, and sadly at this point you probably won't be able to cure her. All you can do is offer supportive care measures.
You'll want to get an 18 gauge needle and insert it into her abdomen to drain the fluid, as to give her relief. Draining can also help tell what's going on by the color of it.
A couple years ago I had a hen with something similar, on here I found an oregano cinnamon recipe, I gave it to her and it really did help. I believe the recipe is 1tbsp of dried oregano and 1/2 a cinnamon stick boiled in a medium sized sauce pan filled with water halfway for 15 minutes.
How did you give this to your hen? Did you just make a fresh batch everyday and leave it out for everyone to drink?

Back
Top Bottom