1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. h4ppy-chris

h4ppy-chris Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2011
    burnley, UK
    a drop is better than a high candle at day 5 min.

2. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    You should learn patience, young grasshopper. If nothing else when incubating any young thing, you learn patience.
    Candle at 5 days minimum for white eggs. For marans and blue, I candle at 18 days.

3. JD4570

JD4570 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:X2 The temp being around 95 F will delay the hatch about a day or so. So relax, no sweat. Besides you won't really see anything until day 7 or 8.[​IMG]

4. h4ppy-chris

h4ppy-chris Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2011
    burnley, UK
    [email protected] :

ok but is day 2 to early to candle like you wont see anything

in short NO unless you have been doing it for years [​IMG]

5. kvmommy

kvmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Many have dips longer and colder and hatch fine. just wait and see!!! Its too early to see anything

6. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I had an incubator hit 108, drop to 92 and back up to 108. Over and over for a week. I gave up and quit turning. That's zero turning the last 2 weeks.There were 30 beautiful dark eggs in there.
    A little over 3 weeks and I heard some noise.
    There were two 2 day old chicks.

I don't recommend trying this at home because two hours over 104 is supposed to be the end but sometimes nature finds a way.
    I also don't worry as much about dips as I do highs. I'm building a real incubator because I want to know if it is the egg's fault or mine.

Patience is a virtue - and I want it now.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  7. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    on day 5 you may see something or you may not. i candled mine at day 5 and only seen something in 3 of them waited till day 10 and out of the 18 i had 14 were growing. just wait and have patiance i know its hard but you have to restrain yourself and be prepared for the worst ei no hatches, as you are still in the process of getting your homemade incubator right once you get it completely right you could get up to maybe 50% hatch rate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by