Why no washing/disinfecting eggs?

21 days is today. I'm in the middle of a million pips but haven't sorted through them yet. I can tell you that all my washed eggs made it to lockdown, though. These are shipped silkies. I'll update when the hatch is over. I also have a washed/unwashed batch of BLRW on day 9; I lost 2 of the unwashed at the first candle but no washed.

Quote:
What I recall reading is that bacteria inside an intact (uncracked) egg usually comes from contamination inside the hen, e.g., before the egg shell has even formed. I don't recall reading any research supporting the idea that salmonella bacteria passes through an intact egg shell with its bloom and membranes also intact. Have you got a link for what you're suggesting?

Edited to Add: My entire findings/hatch results are on post #97...

I am suffering a terrible migraine, but wanted to post before too much time passed and I forgot to update...

5 out of the 8 chicks hatched.

Only 1 washed egg hatched...a Silke/Showgirl. The other 3 washed eggs (1 White Orp, 2 Silkie/Showgirls), the chicks died in the eggs at a late stage...day 19 or even later (one had peirced the inner membrane, but no more progress than that).

All 4 of the unwashed eggs hatched. 1 White Orp, 3 Silkie/Showgirls. The original White Orp was born w/ guts outside of the body, so we had to cull it.
sad.png
That was hard. It was the first one to pip and zip...

I will say that for my own experiment, working with a cheapo bator and my own flock's fertile eggs, I PERSONALLY will not wash my eggs again. If I was getting 90% hatch on my own eggs before without washing them, I don't need to mess with what works.

I feel the rest of ya'll should continue doing what works for you. If it isn't working, then you should question the methods you use and change what you can. And above all...enjoy the process.

How were your hatch results, Blacksheep?

Meagan

Last edited:
i washed a few of my eggs with peroxide and they are all doing fine and should hatch saturday (they are in the incubator)

Quote:
Hi Meagan,
I hope you are feeling better by now.

I recall watching a commercial hatchery you-tube video, of course I can't find it now, of as I recall eggs being moved from an incubator to lock-down and a mechanism punched a hole in the air sack end of the egg. Has anyone seen the video? Would that give the chick more fresh air to breath?

Joe

Quote:
Hi Meagan,
I hope you are feeling better by now.

I recall watching a commercial hatchery you-tube video, of course I can't find it now, of as I recall eggs being moved from an incubator to lock-down and a mechanism punched a hole in the air sack end of the egg. Has anyone seen the video? Would that give the chick more fresh air to breath?

Joe

I may have watched the same video... The video I recall punched a hole on the air cell side to administer the Marek's vaccine. Could be a completely different video, though. If you find it, please post it back here, I'd gladly watch it.

Edited to add...

And what is your avatar pic? Looks like Dale Chihuly glass art. (Who I'm a fan of!)

Last edited:
This one? They show them punching the holes in for the Marek's vaccine here. I watched it for the first time a few days ago myself and wondered if it helped with hatch rates.

Quote:
clap.gif
You are spot on!
thumbsup.gif
Dale Chihuly is my favorite glass artist.

We had an opportunity to visit one of his exhibits in SFO, it was phenomenal!
thumbsup.gif

I have more pic's if you would like to see them.
Joe

Quote:
clap.gif
You are spot on!
thumbsup.gif
Dale Chihuly is my favorite glass artist.

We had an opportunity to visit one of his exhibits in SFO, it was phenomenal!
thumbsup.gif

I have more pic's if you would like to see them.
Joe

Heck yes I want to see them!!
big_smile.png
His team is amazing. (Totally off subject from the Original Post...sorry!) They did an exibit on the grounds of a ruined Spanish castle...unbelievable! He is the Willy Wonka of glass.

Back
Top Bottom