Why now Missy????

Oncoming Storm

Crowing
Jun 3, 2019
So my flock compared to some other flocks on this forum has a high tendency of broodiness. It’s mostly in the spring and summer like it should be. When taking care of the animals today, I was about to wrap up when I saw my Turken hen Peanut sitting in one of the nests. I’m thinking she’s laying and I’m like “ah yes good I needed to check that nest for a while.” So I wait a little bit and she’s still there. Then I notice that her tail in pointed up and her head is towards the eggs. That combined with her fluffiness and wing position is a dead giveaway. She’s broody. In November. *facepalm* I don’t have a way to “break” her and her be properly sheltered from the elements. So, I set up a nesting box inside the barn instead of outside under my hay loft and made the difficult swap from outside to the box. It took a good fifteen minutes of struggling and a box change to get her to stop running back to her original (now empty) nest and nuzzling invisible eggs under her. I finally got her settled. This’ll be her first time broody, so we’ll see how this goes. If some do manage to hatch (it was a large nest so some won’t make it) and she doesn’t seem apt for motherhood, I’ll just snatch them up. But like...why go broody now??? It’s like the opposite of baby season honey. Chickens can be so crazy sometimes.

I have a blue wyandotte hen that is always broody!
Is there an efficient way to break them?
She has had her way with hatching eggs, but after they leave her, guess who is in a box!
She is currently broody, along with a wellie hen!
My understanding is a small dog crate or similar on blocks so that theres airflow underneath her to cool down her broody hormones.

yeah, chickens are weird. my barred rock pullet, Nelly ( she’s 34 weeks old ), went broody for the first time at the beginning of this month and her eggs should hatch Saturday or could be tomorrow if they decide to come early. i guess her hormones decided for her rather than considering what time of year it was. she wasn’t even sitting on any eggs, at first; just a golf ball.

My hen is a seasonal broody
She went broody and raised a batch in summer
And then in fall
Now here winter has started
She is again broody ( day7 )

She has 2 daughters ( fall batch )
I think they will start laying in spring

She has definitely passed her broody genes to them 😂😂
I am sensing these 3 will give me headache by going broody in every season 😅

My hen is a seasonal broody
She went broody and raised a batch in summer
And then in fall
Now here winter has started
She is again broody ( day7 )

She has 2 daughters ( fall batch )
I think they will start laying in spring

She has definitely passed her broody genes to them 😂😂
I am sensing these 3 will give me headache by going broody in every season 😅
What breed is she?
I have a Black Aussie I just had to break. And I HAD three BO I gave up on, that were continually broody for all of their 3 years. They made lovely soup.

Back
Top Bottom