Why only 16% available for layers?

I plan on updating the sheet soon.
It's been a while and I do believe one or two of these feed companies have closed and I'm sure I might be able to find a few more new ones.

I’m in Canada, and have different Feed options available to me... if you check to see if they have a layer/breeder feed it is usually 18%. When I was buying from a co-op that only carried 16% I had to “special order” in my meat bird 19% Broiler feed, I would mix the two and offer oyster shell on the side. The issue with that was a much higher fat% in the Broiler feed. I have since found a better local supplier, and another feed store that carries an 18% of the same brand as I was buying from the first place. Shop around and ask a lot of questions, it took me almost a year to find my current supplier, they are a little out of our way, but I’m much happier with them. They let me buy a pallet at a time at a discount and draw from it as I need it, and the feed is much less dusty. I highly recommend Red Barn and Top Shelf Feeds for anyone on or shopping on Vancouver Island BC, Canada.

So I experimented with FF, with their initial response, I was encouraged to set up an assembly line of 4 large jars of FF. But now after 2 weeks that my assembly line was going well, they seemed to have lost interests. I switched to morning FF feed which allow them all day to finish before they get their late afternoon with wet mash mixed with treats. Still experimenting! I also just purchased a 5lb flock raiser crumbles (learned my lesson, try first before committing to large bags) - have to figure out how/when to give them the new feed.
Mine don't like any more than a 3 day ferment. If it smells like stale beer instead of weak cider I know it's gonna be a tough sell. And good plan with mixing it up. Fermented might be a lot to handle if they eat it nonstop; I'm just lucky anything I give mine is balanced with what they get on the land.

Mine don't like any more than a 3 day ferment. If it smells like stale beer instead of weak cider I know it's gonna be a tough sell. And good plan with mixing it up. Fermented might be a lot to handle if they eat it nonstop; I'm just lucky anything I give mine is balanced with what they get on the land.
That's good to hear - I was about to give up FF. I'll try that. It's not a lot of work to FF -- since it's only added water and time.

Does anyone know where to find layer feed with > 16% protein?
The feeds below are 21% Protein and available at independently owned feed and garden stores like Agway and others.
20190725_070304_resized.jpg
20190725_070153_resized.jpg

The feeds below are 18% Protein and available at TSC. Hearty Hen is soy free. Feather Fixer bag says can also be fed year round and contains slightly less calcium 3.5% than most Layers feed.
20190317_114902.jpg
20190317_115053.jpg
20200709_155953_resized.jpg

You could also buy a 16% layers feed crumbles or pellets and a 20% All-Flock feed and mix 50/50 and offer Oyster Shells separately.

Myself I prefer to feed a Non-Medicated Starter-Grower 18% Protein and offer Oyster Shells separately.
20201126_051320_resized_1-2.jpg

I'll also buy a All-Flock crumble 20% for a dollar more if my preferred feed isn't available. GC

The feeds below are 21% Protein and available at independently owned feed and garden stores like Agway and others.
View attachment 2504637View attachment 2504638
The feeds below are 18% Protein and available at TSC. Hearty Hen is soy free. Feather Fixer bag says can also be fed year round and contains slightly less calcium 3.5% than most Layers feed.View attachment 2504643View attachment 2504644View attachment 2504654
You could also buy a 16% layers feed crumbles or pellets and a 20% All-Flock feed and mix 50/50 and offer Oyster Shells separately.

Myself I prefer to feed a Non-Medicated Starter-Grower 18% Protein and offer Oyster Shells separately.View attachment 2504647
I'll also buy a All-Flock crumble 20% for a dollar more if my preferred feed isn't available. GC
Thank you so much - this is very helpful!

Reading this forum has become my daily obsession, there is so much information from all the postings! As an accidental chooks mom (or grandma since I inherited our spice girls from my daughter who left home for graduate school) I am hopelessly obsessed with our lovely chooks and I also have so much to learn.
All our chickens are girls, named after spices. We have 8 hens, they are all almost 7 months old. 6 of them started laying last month.

Perhaps I am thinking too much, but I am quite confused by the conflict between what the consensus from this forum shows with what is offered in the market place for layer feeds.

From what I learned from the forum, most people prefer flock raiser with 20% protein with oyster shell and grit on the side for their flock.
My main questions are:

If higher protein is important, why are all the layer feed that we can buy from big box stores only provide 16% of protein?
Are some important nutrients in these 16% layer feed not included in the 20% flock raiser? Moreover,
feeds with lower % of protein don't seem to be as tasty to chickens!

If chickens' preference is an indication, it also point to higher % of protein to be more desirable. Why do the feed producers think that 16% is sufficient for layers? Is costs the only driver to 16%?

Does anyone know where to find layer feed with > 16% protein?

All input welcome! Thanks in advance.
https://ifacountrystores.com/
IFA stores have up to 20% protein they own their own bead mill in all their chicken feed has full photic 's prebiotics and omega's in it 50 pound bag of 20% layered pellets around 16.99. My hens love it.

Back
Top Bottom