Why Organic?

Quote:
Actually, since my buddy was visiting here a couple months ago, that title has been on a sticky note. I just didn't get around to read it. And yes, under lax control of the various state and federal agencies, things have really gone haywire. We are very frustrated that our food cannot be properly labeled. The Europeans certainly demanded it, and got their way. We must demand labeling as well.

For me, every purchase I make is a vote with my dollar. But my personal resources (particularly time and money) are limited as are most peoples.

Once I took a little look into our food systems (by reading books like The Omnivores Dilemma, Animal Vegetable Miracle, The Revolution Will Not Be Microwaved and a few others) I couldn't just ignore everything I'd read and return to the supermarket. But I also can't grow everything I eat, nor do I have time or money to seek out local organic sources for everything. Just like everyone else I'm forced into a compromise of prioritizing my food choices.

The original question of this thread was "do you buy organic chicken feed, why or why not?" My answer is I don't because It's too expensive. But there's more to it than that. All the organic chicken feed that is available to me within a reasonable driving distance is made by Cargill (a company whose policies I don't agree with.) Not buying organic feed frees up my cash to buy milk from pastured cows, grass finished beef, and pastured poultry all from small local farmers. It's a compromise.

I think it's good that more people are becoming aware of what it takes to get food on their table. I just try like heck not to let any judgement of others creep into my convictions. This food issue is very complicated and not at all black and white. I have to compromise, so does everyone else. My hope for the future is that more people vote with their dollars to the point that we all have better choices.

*steps down from soapbox*

I don't know if anyone was judging anyone else.

I'm hoping that this thread is seen as more educational than judgemental, because even if the tone sidetracked to defensive on some participant's parts (certainly not me
lol.png
), I think most of us have stuck to the facts, rather than blind name-calling.

We all have choices to make based upon the resources available to us. I'm certainly not here to tell anyone that their choices are wrong, I just want people to be educated when they make their decisions. There is plenty of important information out there that is NOT transparent to the average citizen.

And as has already been mentioned, just because it says "organic" doesn't mean it is healthier for you or your animals.

I didn't think anyone here was being judgemental and sorry if it came off like that. I just want people to know that even though I'm passionate about food issues I realize that everyone has to make different decisions based on what is available to them.

It's just a politically loaded and complex issue and the more info that gets out the better.

Quote:
Because in many parts of the world ONLY these gmo crops that have been specifically modified to grow and produce in extreme heat and without rainfall will grow. Buy seeds or produce nothing-the answer seems pretty obvious to me. Don't spread the panic, doesn't do anyone any good. If you have an arguement against something, do your homework first.

As far as GMO's, about 40% of our nations feed corn IS GMO corn, about 60% of cotton and soy... US regulations do not mandate this product to be labled as such. You very well may be using it and not knowing.

As for organic-I agree it's a trend that will die when people realize how much more they are spending for a product that is not what they thought it was.

Organic producers ARE allowed to use pesticides! So for all of you who say "I use organic b/c it's saves the planet" sorry, but no. ALL pesticides are toxic, if they weren't they wouldn't work.

Also one must realize that producing "organic" is not cost effective, nor is it the best use of our resources. It takes nearly double the land to produce organic as opposed to traditional, even more than double when compared to GMO's. With our ever increasing population, I think it is EXTREMELY important to make the very best use of the land we have available.

We feed regular UNMEDICATED feed for the entire life cycle of each and every species we have here. ONLY use medications when they need them, we like to have a natural immune system in place. We worm ONLY when necessary.

I am much more concerned about breeding "superbugs" by overuse of antibiotics and improper use of womers than whether or not I can label my products "organic" to corner a niche market.

I don't need my soapbox now-who should I send it to next?

Returning to the original post, the question was "do you, and if so, why choose organic?"

There's that old saying "You Are What You Eat..." And for those raising chickens, there is a good chance that they are making that investment because they want to eat fresh and healthy food. In this case, eggs from birds whose condition is known to be healthy and happy.

It sure isn't because we are trying to cut costs because what many of us have spent on their coops and everything else related to our hens, we could have purchased eggs for years. So it's not about saving money. It's about controlling the quality of our food.

And once one declares a commitment to healthy eating, and that the path to such a lifestyle and life choice is organic, then that decision reaches out to the hens themselves - the source of those yummy eggs.

So, for the rest of the day, I promise - no more coffee, no more Snicker bars, and no eggnog and rum. There... healthy living.

It's about choice... If we do, we do so because we believe it matters. And there is little arguing with that, other than having a contrary belief, which cannot be imposed on those of the opposing opinion.

Last edited:
It's not all about saving money. But for me it is a limiting factor.

If I had choose between eggs from my chickens who roam around yard all day long eating a varied diet that also contains some conventional feed, and "organic cage-free" eggs from the grocery store, I'd choose my own eggs. I also realize that others wouldn't. It's ok with me.

Back
Top Bottom