Why Organic?

Quote:
This is not true. Please stop spreading misinformation. I am an organic farmer and plenty of my stuff is picture-perfect.

Let me guess. You don't live in a Florida jungle.

Nice backtrack job.
wink.png

I don't feed anything made with GMO crops to anyone here, including my chickens. Once they genetically modify an organism there is no way it can be contained, and there is no way to "tell" the plant or animal what exactly to do with the new genetic material being introduced. It's not healthy. It also does not significantly increase production and causes more problems than were originally there to start with. It's a money game for big seed, chemical, and food corporations-and they've gone international. Almost everything in your typical grocery store has some ingredients made from GMO corn or soy. We avoid it at all costs. The EU has been fighting this for a long time. Countries like Denmark have banned certain GM crops as well as the use of RoundUp. Monsanto seems to run everything!

Quote:
Let me guess. You don't live in a Florida jungle.

Nice backtrack job.
wink.png

I have gotten plenty of gorgeous, blemish free, large and tasty veggies from my garden for years using organic methods. The best part? They actually TASTE like vegetables. Second best part? It's cheap! Since I don't buy all those chemical pesticides and fertilizers.

Last edited:
Quote:
Nice backtrack job.
wink.png

I have gotten plenty of gorgeous, blemish free, large and tasty veggies from my garden for years using organic methods. The best part? They actually TASTE like vegetables. Second best part? It's cheap! Since I don't buy all those chemical pesticides and fertilizers.

In Fla. once the heat comes on, your squash vines will be invaded by Squash bugs, any greens will have damage from any number of catepillars, or leaf miners, and every tomatoe will get kissed by a stinkbug. I had fireants invade my potato crop last year....I should have just eaten the seed potatos.

Good grief another organic thread! did we start getting N P K and trace minerals from another planet since the last organic thread? To answer the OPs question, because you can.
wink.png

Last edited:
the organic subject...
because I know what it is, and not sure what the other stuff is.
I don't think we were made to eat synthetic stuff.
When I switched to an entirely organic diet I felt 20 years younger.
When I eat something NOT, like at a restaurant or friends house, I feel dull, heavy, weighed down, bloated, slow.
No this is not just in my head. It happens with my DH too and he doesn't know what he eats, he eats what is put in front of him.
I think people will tinker with food and seeds and such so they make money, that being their only concern. So prepared foods are full of crap we shouldn't be eating. It's become difficult to find things in the store that you can eat safely, they all have something in them we shouldn't be eating.
If it's labeled certified organic it is safe to eat.
Yes there are a few cheaters who say they are organic and they are not, but they get caught because it is NOT easy to be certified organic. It is a difficult process that makes it tough to cheat at.
So why organic feed for my animals? Because if they eat it, I will be eating it soon enough also.

FYI arsenic is in every municipal drinking water supply and well water in a measurable amount. It is also taken up by plants and stored organic or not.

Quote:
I, for one, don't believe there's much truth to the statement above. Most of the people who have responded to this question have done some measure of research to find out what organic means, what constitutes "certified organic", and how it can impact their health by choosing organic. Granted it can be expensive (I used to buy organic milk, but at $6 a gallon I decided it wasn't worth it right now), but that's why we raise our own. Organic chicken at the supermarket is $7.50 lb cut up. At the warehouse store it's $6 lb whole. By the time my own birds are dressed and ready to go, they'll have cost me $13-$14 each to raise & process -- approximately $3.50 lb. For people who can do their own processing, the cost is even less, as it is for those who can raise larger quantities of birds. Knowing what I know now about what goes into commercially grown birds, I'll do what I can to protect my daughter. Arsenic is not an acceptable food supplement for anyone, man or bird.

Much of the same can be said of organic vegetables. They're expensive to buy but can be grown quite economically, with a few extras that can be shared or sold. Once I get my farm fully functioning (and don't have to buy so much), buying that organic milk won't be so daunting.

I have a question, with organic chicken feed are we sure that the grains in the feed are not hybrid grains. I went to get seeds to plant in my garden I went to 4 different places to find no hybrid corn seeds. I just wonder if they can use hybrid seeds in organic feeds. I think hybrid seeds are bad for eating because they don't have the same nutrients and the regular grains and vegetables. I have not found any organic chicken feed in my area I am very limited in my choices. Thanks to anyone who could answer this question for me.

Quote:
Kucyk Early RX 2300, Wapsie Valley, Minnesota 13, "J" Reid yellow dent, are available certified organic corn.

Golden Bantam, Country Gentleman, Six Shooter, Howling Mob, and Black Mexican are all good Open Pollinated Sweet Corn.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom