Why priority mail instead of regular for eggs?

cherig22

Green Fields Farm
15 Years
Sep 2, 2008
SW Missouri
Why would you use priority mail to ship eggs at $10.35 when you can ship it regular for around $5? The eggs will not go bad, or do you get more regulated temps with the priority mail?

I want to ship for the lower price, but is the priority really worth it?

Some folks say the priority is treated rougher, but I do not really know. Give me some input. Would buyers really rather pay for priority?

Cheri

I would much rather have eggs sent to me priority as with regular mail as me living in a rural area, first class mail sometimes take 10 days plus to get here. Plus you can purchase delivery conformation which is nice for both the seller and buyer to know when the eggs were delivered.

As for myself mailing eggs, I would rather use their boxes as we know they hold up good and are already marked. As buying boxes of quality can be not only expensive but one more task to do to get the eggs wrapped and to the post office.

Hi Cheri! In my opinion, priority with delivery confirmation is the best way to ship eggs.
Eggs for hatching are perishable and Priority Mail usually arrives within 2 - 3 days.
Priority Mail is not necessarily $10.35, are you thinking of Flat Rate Priority boxes?
I only use Flat Rate Priority boxes when it is less expensive than Priority Mail.
If you are going to do much eggs shipping, get a scale and use USPS Post Calculator to check shipping prices (to find which box is less expensive for your particular need).
Good luck!
smile.png

Lisa

So the buyer could make the choice as to which service, if you prefer priority you would pay the difference. I just want to offer my hatching egg customers the option to pay the lesser shipping, but I could let them know the difference in time of receipt.

"Priority Mail is not necessarily $10.35, are you thinking of Flat Rate Priority boxes?" Yes, because I do not want to have to calculate each region to give an absolute price for shipping. When I get my website with a shipping calculator, it will definately be easier. But I am not there yet....

I will be offering eggs that are up to seven days old, so they would not suffer being too old if sent by regular mail.

hmmmmm......

Cheri

Last edited:
I have read lots of articles here and at the universities web sites that eggs after 6 days old start a serious decline in hatching rate. Along with temperature either too hot or cold.

I will be offering eggs that are up to seven days old, so they would not suffer being too old if sent by regular mail.

Yes, egg viability will suffer.
By the time they were delivered, they'd likely be non-viable.
I would not consider shipping 7-day-old eggs even by Priority Mail.
I like folks buying eggs to get them in time to let them rest and still be ready to set well before they hit the 10-day-old.
Good luck!
smile.png

Lisa​

Not all priority mail costs $10.35. That price is for the medium flat rate box, which I never use. Most times it costs between $5 and $8 for me to ship eggs, unless they are going a good distance and/or are very heavy.

First-class packages over 13 ounces have to be shipped priority mail, the post office won't do it any other way
smile.png
The only other option would be parcel post, and that can take up to 9 days for delivery.

First class mail only goes to 13 oz. If I ship 6 medium eggs the box with proper packing weighs 2.5 lb. Even bantam eggs would weigh in at least a pound packed properly, unless your planning on mailing eggs in a padded envelope.

Sorry Shelly I did not see that you posted the 13 oz rule already... LOL

Last edited:
Here's an example for you. I sent a large box of eggs across the country once. They went from TN (I live close to the border) to Washington State. Cost $16 Priority. For some reason, they did NOT send it Priority, but Parcel Post.I know this because I did do Del Conf and it went through ATLANTA, which it never should have done. It took one week for it to arrive. None hatched. Even if Priority took four days, that would be better than seven. And Priority usually does take 2-3, but has taken as much as 5 days to get to certain places I've shipped to in the past.

Back
Top Bottom