Why raise Bantam chickens?

Well, Bantams were originally named after the port of Bantam ,from which they originally came, Sailors liked these chickens because they were small enough to handle in small flocks among their ships for egg's and meat. So their main use was saving space.

Nowadays they are a very popular ornamental fowl,and many people raise bantams,because specific breed's may only come in bantam size,and as others mentioned they are a smaller bird, which means smaller mess,and smaller noise.

Quote:
lol.png
:lol:Thats the best reason I've heard:D
big_smile.png

We have standards, but after meeting my barn owners little Blue D Uccle pullet.
Well. We are smitten and will be ordering some when the weather warms.

Banties are like potato chips...cant have just one...and you just keep reaching in and getting more and more...
I love my banties- they lay enough eggs to keep my hubby fed. I love their personalities. I am sending two full size orps to my brother in laws because they pick on the other chickens...and almost instantly, my brain said, "oh...two big chickens out= 6 banties in"..lol.

Just got 8 bantams today from my uncle. They are so cute. I can't wait til they start laying. I love the smaller eggs too. We have standard chickens but the bantams are just plain fun to have around.

Geez, you guys are the best salespeople! I'm almost convinced I need to try a bantam now...I was thinking "why would you want to raise a chicken that lays teeeny weeny eggs", but you make them sound like more fun than....chickens!

Bantys are also "eggscellent" bug catchers! They will kill/eat their weight in bugs if given the chance! And what they don't eat, they will kill out of couriosity

Being a first time chicken owner I am loving my 6 little bantams!! I have full size ones too but everyone is right the bantams are funn ti watch. I have one that is sooo tiny but she seems to be thriving just fine I can only imagine how tiny her eggs are going to be lol. My two and only Roos are bantam roos. Quick question? can a batnam roo mate with a full size chicken like a buff or RIR?
Would the babies be regular sized? just curious!

Back
Top Bottom