Why raise Bantam chickens?

I like them because they are so cute and sweet. And you can tell everyone you ate 6 eggs for breakfast.
wink.png

Well . . . they're easier to hide when your town doesn't allow them, you can have more in a tinier space, they eat less, and their eggs are so much fun to use!

I read that in the days of serfdom, landowners only allowed the serfs to keep undersized or oddly formed eggs. For this reason the serfs started keeping smaller chickens in order to get the smaller eggs they were allowed for themselves.

I've personally never had much interest in them -- but my mom has taken to keeping them and swears by them. She maintains that the banty eggs do not give her heartburn like standard eggs do. I think it's probably in her head, but... to each his own. We keep standards here that way when one of them gets out of line I can make a WHOLE dinner out of her, not just a light snack.
tongue.png
cool.png

shelley, at first glance I thought that picture of your hens with chicks was a picture of her standing over some mammal she killed. I was thinking, "Wow! That's one tough little bantam!"

Er....

Is a bantam not a chicken, then?

I stumbled on a hen
D.gif
and three chicks
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
in a free local listing today, so although I was mentally preparing for a Orpington, RIR, and Australorpe day old at the end of Feb, I'm getting these bantams for free on Monday!

Should I feel as panicked as I do?
ep.gif
('Cause I dooooo!)

Any tips would be really helpful here, as I have nothing in terms of equipment or food.
hit.gif

Actually....I do feel a little bit
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom