WHY ROOSTERS

An Agricultural area Sequim Wa is not. Use to be...but it was sold out by the farmers looking for a quick buck in 'community development'. So much for farming. Again....I'm in a 118 home residential area with 20 homes and families backed up to this pseudo farm. It's hobby farming, raising hygienically filthy birds, and not giving a damn about anyone else but themselves. Talking...what a great idea!..."oh, he wouldn't like that"...was the chickens...t response we got from this upstanding hobbyist (regarding collars/night houses). I'm not an animal hater...love birds, have 2 beautiful dogs ..but i can only believe this hobby farmer (of these extremely and obnoxiously loud pests--roosters) to be a narcissistic, sick misantrope...as in neighbors be damned..."i don't care about neighbors...it's all about ME".

My neighbor has a Rooster, whom I love listening to, I am grateful to have him.
He lets us know when falcons and hawks are circling in our Very urban downtown Phoenix neighborhood, protecting that only his chickens, but the small dogs in the neighborhood as well.
I just discovered that my favorite 3 month old baby is a Roo. I'm praying that the two of them in close proximity won't be too loud, if they are, I will hope that my neighbors talk to me, I would hate to lose my sweet bird if anything can be done to prevent it.
Please Talk to your Neighbor 🙏

An Agricultural area Sequim Wa is not. Use to be...but it was sold out by the farmers looking for a quick buck in 'community development'. So much for farming. Again....I'm in a 118 home residential area with 20 homes and families backed up to this pseudo farm. It's hobby farming, raising hygienically filthy birds, and not giving a damn about anyone else but themselves. Talking...what a great idea!..."oh, he wouldn't like that"...was the chickens...t response we got from this upstanding hobbyist (regarding collars/night houses). I'm not an animal hater...love birds, have 2 beautiful dogs ..but i can only believe this hobby farmer (of these extremely and obnoxiously loud pests--roosters) to be a narcissistic, sick misantrope...as in neighbors be damned..."i don't care about neighbors...it's all about ME".
I am very sorry you are so frustrated. I can see that it is making you exceedingly angry. I read the laws for your area, and you are out of luck. I suggest ear plugs and noise-reducing windows. Or moving, which shouldn't be necessary. But you should have checked zoning before settling there if you knew roosters were such a source of anger for you. I just bought a house in Nevada County to be able to keep roosters on my 2 acre hobby farm. When residents move here, they sign a document acknowledging the neighboring properties have a right to farm. Property buyers have to agree to tolerate the noise and inconvenience associated with living in ag areas.

On second thought, you might still talk to the county. If the birds are not being kept according to their guidelines, they can be held responsible.

You could soundproof your house or at least your bedroom.
Since you do live in a tightly packed community the morning crowing would not be helped with a blacked out coop since they also crow as a noise alert nor would no crow collars help the issue much if any at all.
The zoning is clearly in your neighbor's favor though and complaints such as yours are going to fall on deaf ears possibly even painting you as the nuisance in the equation.
Honestly it kind of has you by the balls no matter how you look at it.🥎🏈🏀

You could soundproof your house or at least your bedroom.
Since you do live in a tightly packed community the morning crowing would not be helped with a blacked out coop since they also crow as a noise alert nor would no crow collars help the issue much if any at all.
The zoning is clearly in your neighbor's favor though and complaints such as yours are going to fall on deaf ears possibly even painting you as the nuisance in the equation.
Honestly it kind of has you by the balls no matter how you look at it.🥎🏈🏀
Homie "peaced out." Just posted those 2 angry posts and bailed. Good riddance... It is people like that who make things more difficult than necessary. I can't imagine 4 roosters being worse than 6 guineas! Lol!

Wonder if OP's name is Karen???

Lol, maybe they just needed to vent.
Birds got to fly.
Fish got to swim.
Karens got to Karen.:)
Homie "peaced out." Just posted those 2 angry posts and bailed. Good riddance... It is people like that who make things more difficult than necessary. I can't imagine 4 roosters being worse than 6 guineas! Lol!

Wonder if OP's name is Karen???

Who comes to BYC to complain about chickens?

The zoning existed before you moved in. Roosters are awesome and some of us love to hear them serenade the ladies.

My neighbors have lots of irritating habits and if they bothered me too much, I would move to town where there are assimilation rules.
This was my thought exactly! This isn't the place to rage on chickens. They seemed to denouce talking to the neighbors entirely (hard to follow exactly what this person was saying), but regardless, sound dampening curtains help a ton. And don't move to an agriculturally zoned area of you don't want to be around animals. We bought our house specifically because it was an agricultrual zone, and you can bet that every one of my neighbors has chickens, goats, cows, or all of the above!

Once upon a time I lived in the great State of Washington and I lived in a housing development that used to be a cattle farm. Across the street an active farm still existed and we purchased our house partly based on it's proximity to one of the pastures because the mama cows calling to their babies in the evening was very soothing.

Most developments like the one described here are HOAs (as was where I lived) that are full of rules and neighborhood monitors looking for infractions. Our HOA did receive complaints regarding the cows across the street, but they were never able to get anywhere with those complaints due to the owners following the rules. Unfortunately when the farmer pasted away, the family sold the farm to another developer (for millions of $) that promptly started developing the land for another high density housing area. That was about the time the housing bubble burst and development came to a screeching halt. All or most of the streets had already been poured and it was a great place for RC car racing and made a great airfield for RC planes.

Sooo, we just jumped on the chicken bandwagon these stay at home days & I gotta say its been the best experience for all of us! Agreed, meet the neighbors, be kind & if you cannot resolve, join them if you love animals! Especially if you have kids, it gets them off the PC!

Back
Top Bottom