Why should you have the coop door open in?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by funonahonda, Apr 14, 2008.

1. funonahonda

funonahonda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Hello,
    I am making my shed half coop and half shed, I'm making a wall 6' from the back wall and I wanna put a door in it, I seen somewhere on here that you should have the coop door open in. Just wondering before I make the door and which way to have it open. Thanks alot

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

If mine opened in, it would push the shavings and leave a bare spot on the floor, effectively also cutting off usable floor space. I prefer mine to open outward because of that. I have one inner screen door inside a retrofitted shed that opens inward and I really don't like that at all, but I had to do it because of the double entry doors into that part of the shed.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2008
  3. chickenranchwife

chickenranchwife Chillin' With My Peeps

My door also swings to the outside. This way the chickens don't lock themselves in with all the straw piled up against the door.

4. flip9109

flip9109 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    st paul mn
    if it opened in the birds could get injured if it moved quickly.(like strong wind)

5. Brian

Brian Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2007
    Jacksonville, ORegon
    Have the door open OUT!

Home doors open in. They weather less that way. Shed doors open out!

6. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    It should open out.

7. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    I like mine to open in so that it is easier to get inside without letting anyone out. In particular this is a concern with one of my runs as my rabbit lives in there, and he always tries to escape when the door is open.

8. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Mine open out. I have storage sheds that came with doors that open that way. The only thing I don't like about it is that when I go to open the door they come flying out at me. Sometimes chickens that aren't to be out get out. It creates problems if big roosters and little roosters get out at the same time. I have to break up fights. [​IMG]

9. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Mine originally opened inside...but I found it was pushing the shavings out of the way & the nest boxes were making a "funnel" to the great outdoors (using the door as one side of it) so they would fly at my face when the door opened. [​IMG]

So we took the door off, flipped it upside down & now it opens out. [​IMG]

10. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    Mine opens in which I happen to like because I can have a screen door on the outside. I can open the main door in summer time and lock the screen door which helps keep the coop cooler.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by