Why slow growing??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BigDaddy'sGurl, Oct 17, 2010.

1. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    I have been raising chickens for a good while now but am always at a loss when I see pics of some of the other BYCer's pullets/cockerals of the same age as mine. Why do my young birds seem like dwarves compared?? The bantams I understand but the LFs?? I am almost embarrassed to show pics of my birds that are the same age! What am I doing wrong?? I feed chick starter and let them free range as well as often as possible...am I missing something?

2. BigDaddy'sGurl

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    nobody have advice...? [​IMG]

3. mamawolf544

mamawolf544 Unbreakable Heart

Apr 29, 2009
    alvarado, Tx
    What breeds are you talking about? If you are feeding them plenty of chick starter and then chick grower and they free-range they may just be a bird that matures slower. I have birds that will be laying at 4 months and others that wont think about it before 6 or 7 months. It really just depends on the breed. I am sure yours are fine. [​IMG]

4. BigDaddy'sGurl

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    They are large breed birds. I just don't understand it. They look like mini me versions of everyone else's birds of the same ages...

5. Ceilismom

Ceilismom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2010
    NW South Dakota
    Are you comparing apples to oranges? Meaning, are you comparing hatchery stock to breeder stock?

6. BigDaddy'sGurl

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    Umm...don't think so? My chickens come from private breeders and many are mutts...and when compared to people on this board's mutts, mine fall far short size-wise...

7. Pequena Bandada

Pequena Bandada Small Flock

Jun 13, 2010
    Do you keep the feeder stocked at all times, or are you measuring out a certain amount each day?

8. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    at one time I thought i was feeding plenty of food to my chicks that were in with the adult birds. they were bantam size but large fowl in the fall. finally I realized the older hens were pushing the chicks away from the feeder and once I corrected that problem they caught up size wise. the next yr I did not make that mistake.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by