Why the slow down?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JustMandy, Oct 13, 2010.

1. JustMandy

JustMandy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2010
    I have 6 layers, they are 8 months old and a few weeks ago, we were getting 4-6 eggs a day. Now I'm getting 1-3. What's the deal?

My guesses (please agrue for or against them):

Shorter days-but they aren't that much shorter??
    I added some 2-3 mo old chicks to the flock about a month and a half ago-two are roos??

They aren't molting, I haven't changed their food.

What could it be?

2. gettinaclue

gettinaclue Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Virginia
    My ladies are slowing down too. I have 10. I was getting 7-8 eggs a day. Now I'm getting 4-6. Sigh.

3. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    It's just that time of year. You can put a light on a timer out in your coop to keep it at 14 hrs of light a day and production up. I like to keep the girls on their natural schedule so don't add light, but I've got around 50 birds right now so it's not like the family doesn't have enough eggs, sales just go down.

4. JustMandy

JustMandy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2010
    Hm. Thanks for answering. Now I have to decide if I'll put a light in there or not...

5. piper2009

piper2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Mine slowed down for about 2 weeks due to molting, but are now laying again.[​IMG]

Alexis

6. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Probably light and temperature plus they can't keep that egg-a-day schedule and need a chance to regroup. It also depends on breed, some lay better, more consistently than others--I'm getting an egg a day from my RSL but my RIR and SS have gone to one every 2nd or 3rd day and they have only been laying for a month.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by