Why Vomit for Sour Crop?

He is quite stressed from it so we've stopped, but he's not doing very well. As for the antibiotics, a vet suggested them to us after we took him to her. He has a bacterial case so she thought they may help.
Have you tried probiotics yet? Apple cider vinegar as well in his water. Massage crop without vomiting him.

I've also heard success stories with medication for yeast infections. Sour crop is a yeast infection.

I've also heard success stories with medication for yeast infections. Sour crop is a yeast infection.
Aoxa, do you know of enduring success stories with medication for yeast infxn (e.g. monistat)? When I read about it, it seemed that people who tried that found that the yeast infxn eventually returned once they discontinued the antifungal med. I was left thinking that this was because the underlying cause was impacted material that needs to be dislodged. As long as undigested food sits in the crop, it will eventually ferment.

But on the other hand, I have no first hand experience with sour crop and am not sure I am understanding this correctly.

Aoxa, do you know of enduring success stories with medication for yeast infxn (e.g. monistat)?  When I read about it, it seemed that people who tried that found that the yeast infxn eventually returned once they discontinued the antifungal med.  I was left thinking that this was because the underlying cause was impacted material that needs to be dislodged.  As long as undigested food sits in the crop, it will eventually ferment.

But on the other hand, I have no first hand experience with sour crop and am not sure I am understanding this correctly.
Like I said, I just heard stories. Never tried Monistat.

I've also heard that wine helps as well.

Yoghurt was all that I needed, and it worked perfectly. Definitely don't want to give them antibiotics, as they will kill the good bacteria as well as the bad. That's not what you want to do.

ACV with mother that is unpasturized and unfiltered is a huge help with any of these things.

I had a pretty bad case of sour crop with a RIR. After a week she was 50% better, another week and she was 100% normal. You need to massage the crop to help dislodge what is causing the food to sit and ferment in her crop. Start at the top and work your way down the crop with a gentle massage. My girl seemed to like it.

The hardest part was withholding treats that the others got regularly (fruits).

Last edited:
I just read some more about it. Seems to be a lot of disagreement/confusion in the literature. Some say that a sour crop has become too acidic, so instead of ACV to increase acidity, do the opposite by giving baking soda (dissolved in water) to reduce the acidity. Some do say that impacted material must be removed by either massaging it down towards the next part of the GI tract (not vomiting upward), or surgically removed, if the bird doesn't pass it on his/her own. I would guess that many of the "cures" we read about with ACV, yogurt, etc., just appeared to be cures because the bird happened to pass the stuck food. Administering some remedy during that period of time does not prove cause-effect relationship.

OP, I would ask your vet why she thinks it's a bacterial infection, rather than fungal. While most online sources seem to think fungal, some do mention bacterial infection. So if your vet has a good reason to think bacterial and not fungal in your particular case, I would continue to take her advice.

I just read some more about it.  Seems to be a lot of disagreement/confusion in the literature.  Some say that a sour crop has become too acidic, so instead of ACV to increase acidity, do the opposite by giving baking soda (dissolved in water) to reduce the acidity.  Some do say that impacted material must be removed by either massaging it down towards the next part of the GI tract (not vomiting upward), or surgically removed, if the bird doesn't pass it on his/her own.  I would guess that many of the "cures" we read about with ACV, yogurt, etc., just appeared to be cures because the bird happened to pass the stuck food.  Administering some remedy during that period of time does not prove cause-effect relationship.

OP, I would ask your vet why she thinks it's a bacterial infection, rather than fungal. While most online sources seem to think fungal, some do mention bacterial infection.  So if your vet has a good reason to think bacterial and not fungal in your particular case, I would continue to take her advice.
There is so many different opinions on it I agree. I think my girl was cured by a combination of adding positive probiotics and the massages she got to help her pass whatever it was that was blocking the contents in the first place.

I definitely think those two methods will not make it worse, and it is worth a shot.

The reason we know it's bacterial is we tested his droppings and found high amounts of bacteria in it. It did help for a while but now he's pretty sick again
sad.png
Lately we have been massaging his crop and he's seeming to do a little better than he was so that's good.

My roo has sour crop. Lately we've been vomiting him and giving him vet recommended antibiotics, but it hasn't helped very much. It has come to our attention that vomiting is only a temporary fix and often he just ends up stressed and eating even more after we vomit him. What I really want to know is what exactly does the vomiting do? Is it necessary for the recovery process?
antibiotics makes it worse - treat with 1 teas epsom salt in 1/2 c water and after vomiting pour water down chickens throat to flush out crop (carefully) the salt kills the yeast infection of the sour crop.....

antibiotics makes it worse - treat with 1 teas epsom salt in 1/2 c water and after vomiting pour water down chickens throat to flush out crop (carefully) the salt kills the yeast infection of the sour crop.....
Hopefully OP rooster’s doesn’t have 10 year sour crop.

Just kidding! Always good to post knowledge incase another person needs it. :)

Back
Top Bottom