Why wasn't I warned.. not to build a coop, or heck get chickens... Oh well too late now. New build started this weekend.

So the wife bought 4 chicks from Tractor Supply, I know story old as time..

But alas here we are, First thought was Eglu Cube w/run, 2nd thought was cute but too small and heck I can do better for $1800

Well goodbye greenhouse hello coop spot.. and a busy weekend later and the new coop is taking shape. Not sure what the final shape will actually be since I am not one to use or draw out plans.

But the basics are - 6x7 coop and attached 6x10 run plus 75% of the coop is high enough off ground for more run space. Shingled roof over both parts (I live in a HOA community so best it looks like a shed) Coop has 4' walls and is 6' at highest roof portion. 2/3 of the side will swing open for cleaning. Going with the "best nest box' type of nesting box. 3 x openable windows and gable vents for fresh air..

So first off.. Holy heck $9 for a 2x4x8 non PT Pine!!!!

Questions...

1. Is there such a thing at a too tall run? given the slope of the yard the far end of the run will have 8'walls with 10' to apex of roof. is this ok?
2. Is it ok to wall off the back of the run with a solid material? the other 2 sides will be mesh but the back I want to cover with something so the neighbors dogs cannot see the birds. I assume this is fine but better to ask..

View attachment 3031658View attachment 3031659View attachment 3031660View attachment 3031662View attachment 3031663
Looks great. Mine‘s 8’ x 6’ with a 12x6 run. Good for 6 chickens without crowding. Great for 4. They’ll have lots of room, which is important.

If you think this is getting out of hand, wait until you or wife sees breeds you MUST have! It’s called “chicken math”. They’re like potato chips. I’m down to 10 hens, and more eggs than I can handle, since getting rid of the roo, Sid Vicious, my attack rooster. So, now I’m fencing in my entire acre so the girls can have the run of it all! Happy hens make the best eggs. And, gifts of eggs soothe angry neighbors. 😬

Mine have air conditioning,and I’m by Dubuque!Need a big tree,to have serious shade.
Lots more air crosswise,Double hardware cloth on all openings,1/4” keeps mice out.

Mine have air conditioning,and I’m by Dubuque!Need a big tree,to have serious shade.
Lots more air crosswise,Double hardware cloth on all openings,1/4” keeps mice out.
No a/c but windows that open all the way for cross ventilation and open eaves w/hw cloth all around. They’ve never avoided sleeping inside from heat. Plus, I covered the plywood floor of the henhouse and bare floor of the run with it to keep varmints out.

More progress. Reversed the walls to the opening portion faces the yard, Flashing installed, Siding up, roof finished, windows installed. Caulking and paint tomorrow then on to enclosing the run and installing the auto door. . Leaving the top 2/3 of the run facing side wall hardware cloth and not solid per recommendations here. Pardon the furry photo bomb think she is excited for more things to bark at
92375EB7-4D75-4000-AA7F-4A465985A22F.jpeg
B16CEDA5-D535-4527-A4A8-40F1927F7FAE.jpeg
FA18BB2E-2700-4800-B140-A97ACA641CDA.jpeg

Just to check, can you access the entire underside of the coop as it currently stands? Might want to consider access doors on one or two sides of the underside coop area if fully reaching the back corners from the run opening is difficult.

More progress. Reversed the walls to the opening portion faces the yard, Flashing installed, Siding up, roof finished, windows installed. Caulking and paint tomorrow then on to enclosing the run and installing the auto door. . Leaving the top 2/3 of the run facing side wall hardware cloth and not solid per recommendations here. Pardon the furry photo bomb think she is excited for more things to bark at View attachment 3038851View attachment 3038852View attachment 3038853
Is the dog a Sheepadoodle? My neighbor has one, Lucy, and I LOVE her. She runs to see the girls when she escapes, scaring them to death, but she just wants to play.

Just to check, can you access the entire underside of the coop as it currently stands? Might want to consider access doors on one or two sides of the underside coop area if fully reaching the back corners from the run opening is difficult.
It would be difficult! I’ll add access door on the far end. Thanks for the idea!

Back
Top Bottom