1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

why will one of my chics not eat from my hand and all the others do

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jolenep, May 22, 2017.

1. jolenep

jolenep Just Hatched

Mar 13, 2017
    I have one chic (3 weeks old) that will absolutely not eat from my hand. I feed the other 5
    meal worms on occasion and they eat from my hand and love the mealworms but this
    particular chic will not touch them. She does eat the chic feed and seems healthy.
    Why is she exhibiting this behavior?

2. SueT

SueT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    Are they all the same breed? Give it time. Maybe it had a bad experience with someone grabbing it.

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I haven't had a chick that would get close enough to eat out of my hand in many years.

4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Could just be that bird's personality. Some are just friendlier than others. It seems you got one of the "others".

5. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Look away or squint your eyes keeping back of hand firmly on the ground. Place just a few meal worms on your hand and repeat multiple times during each feeding session. We just tamed a hen-reared brood where hen at first would not cooperate. All where confined to a rabbit on a barrel so chicks where in close proximity to extended hand with meal worms on it. We also setup so we could sit comfortably thus moving about less. See thread below.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...oody-to-work-with-kids.1173295/#post-18488038

6. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Yes, you have a chick that is reticent by temperament. Not every chicken enjoys closeness with humans. If a chick doesn't warm up to you with meal worms, it may remain standoffish all its life.

Conduct the exercise @centrarchid describes. Be patient, but also accept that this chick may never be enthusiastic about interacting with humans. Just as some humans are extroverts and some are introverts, so it goes with chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by