Training Aggressive Broody to Work with Kids

centrarchid

Crossing the Road
14 Years
Sep 19, 2009
Holts Summit, Missouri
I have need for broody hens with chicks that will be used for educating kids. My default approach is to pull from a pool of hens reared in part for the purpose. If special rearing methods not used hens can be very aggressive in defense of broods and these guys can literally fly at your face. Owing to recent downsizing the number of hens available is reduced so will attempt to use an outsourced game hen. Hen shown below. My kids will be helping with effort. She has already "put it to me" a couple of times when changing waterer and feeder. She is starting to relax but still growly.

20170514_102930.jpg
20170514_141513.jpg

Last edited:
I have need for broody hens with chicks that will be used for educating kids. My default approach is to pull from a pool of hens reared in part for the purpose. If special rearing methods not used hens can be very aggressive in defense of broods and these guys can literally fly at your face. Owing to recent downsizing the number of hens available is reduced so will attempt to use an outsourced game hen. Hen shown below. My kids will be helping with effort. She has already "put it to me" a couple of times when changing waterer and feeder. She is starting to relax but still growly.

View attachment 548384 View attachment 548386

They grow so fast. That is a 55 Gal. drum the cage is on, right?
I had one broody that still growled at me after 5 broods and would bite the hand that fed her 1st thing in the morning.
Let us know how she does, can you?
Scott

Yes, a 55-gal drum. Keeping birds out of reach of mice and now snakes at night. Also good ergonomics for me. Out feeding protocol has free-choice access to chick starter and hand-feeding with live meal worms three times daily, first before school, second at end of workday and third just before dark. Chicks always with crops topped off. Today, after work, group will be released and my son will help hen scratch up bugs for chicks for an hour or so. Then they will be directed back into pen.

Hen with brood released as planned. Hen immediately went over to dust bath. Chicks interacted with kids as she did so.

20170516_184744-jpg.548832

20170516_184423-jpg.548833

Chicks very strongly oriented on pen and retreated to it even when placed in a new location 20 feet from original.

Hen flogged me multiple times but leaving kids alone with exception of threats directed at daughter. Floggings may have been directed at phone / camera.

Last edited:
Chicks now 8 days post-hatch. After a couple days rough weather I released them to forage. Prior to birds leaving barn we fed them meal worms. Hen no longer flogs. I think camera riles her. Insect forage abundance very high. So not ranging far.

Hen concentrate her foraging efforts around dirt pile the free-range birds dust bath in and kids use as a play area. Hen makes no effort to move away from playing kids. MY three year old daughter then started to try and drive hen away. Hen stood her ground. Daughter displayed her inner ape as they skirmished back and forth. Ended in stale mate. Daughter then tried to grab chicks. She does not listen well. Hen will get her at some point. I would never have been able to do such growing up because hens were flat out too willing to flog my butt.

Time to get chicks and hen trained up for flight table. Cage will be placed on large table. Entire lot will be trained to exit pen and return to it on cue. Latter essential so we can rapidly pack up and go after an event. Will make video once mastered. Only 3.5 weeks until brood weaned. Will be tough get another ready in that interval. Three hens already being setup to rear so hopefully at least one will be ready. One hen spurred so might provide more interesting discussion.

Back
Top Bottom