Anyahueb

In the Brooder
Jul 3, 2018
I have three chickens - two Isa browns and one leghorn. I sleep right next to my chickens so when I'm still sleeping peacefully the chickens have woken up and are squawking constantly, and I live in a close suburban street. They will not stop squawking unless they are given veggies that they like, and it is getting incredibly frustrating having to go outside several times every single morning just to give the chickens more and more food. Not only is this a really bad habit for the chickens, but it could start fattening them up if I'm not careful. What should I do?!

I have three chickens - two Isa browns and one leghorn. I sleep right next to my chickens so when I'm still sleeping peacefully the chickens have woken up and are squawking constantly, and I live in a close suburban street. They will not stop squawking unless they are given veggies that they like, and it is getting incredibly frustrating having to go outside several times every single morning just to give the chickens more and more food. Not only is this a really bad habit for the chickens, but it could start fattening them up if I'm not careful. What should I do?!

Ummm...it sounds like they trained their human to feed them treats when they squawk.
Don't feed them treats when they yell for them! Teach them that no matter how much they yell, you're not giving in to them. Wait, isn't this the same advice to a parent whose toddler throws a temper tantrum over wanting a piece of candy?

I think chickens wake up when the sun comes up and want food and water right away. Mine don't start squawking till they see me open the basement door, but then they all start at once. Of course they quiet down once let out and fed. I would not go out and give them treats every time they squawk. They are probably training you. Just give them their food and water in the morning, then turn the radio up so you don't hear them. They will un-learn that bad habit soon.

You are very well trained. :eek:

How big is their space?
Is it a big empty space?

Adding interesting things to their space tends to help.
Tree branches, a big pile of leaves, logs, wooden saw horses, a swing, shatter proof mirror that sort of stuff will give them something to do.

Change it up every few days.

Back
Top Bottom