Why won't my Hens lay any longer?

This might be a good place to ask this question. I have some hens starting their third year. They haven't been laying for a few months while molting. Now finished molting and not laying with the cold short days. My question is should I keep them for another year or will they not lay well enough to justify the food cost? I do have some young pullets just starting to lay. I don't use lights. Another question! If I keep ones that have been good setters will they go broody even if not laying well next spring/summer? My new pullets are not breeds that will go broody and I'd like to hatch some chicks next spring/summer.
If I haven't already :welcome :frow All birds are different and people live in different climates. I have about 20 older girls. They aren't laying much now. I get a couple of eggs most days from them. All of the coops have night lights. Since the chicks have lights from hatch, I have little problem of the birds going into the coops to roost. The older girls do pick up laying in the spring. Since they have recently gone through their molts, I have been giving them higher protein feed. My egg production has picked up some. During the summer months when they don't need as much protein, I feed them layer feed which is usually around 16% protein and the higher protein feed is 20% protein. The pullets have recently started to lay though it has been sporadic while they work out the kinks. I have been mixing some layer feed with some higher protein for them. I incubate my eggs in an incubator and hatch them out. I have let broody's do it but I can incubate and hatch more chicks out. Good luck and have fun...
These are some I hatched out for a friend.
IMG_2968.JPG

I have four chickens 16 month all went thru there first molt this fall, It took them three weeks to start laying again after we put a light with a timer in their coop. they all have the bright red combs but one is not and she is not laying yet she is an orphington any one have any advice

Back
Top Bottom