Why won't my rooster mate my hen??????

Give Rochester a 6-Pack and put a bag over the hen's head!
big_smile.png

Maybe he is shy, or maybe he is gay, or maybe you should take him back to the breeder you got him from and say you want to make a trade. Wait do chickens get headaches? How about PMS? DMS? (During.....)
Actually, I haven't seen much 'activity' in my flock since the girls have stopped laying for the season. They all seemed to want to start jumping on my little black Silkie a couple of weeks back, and now I am getting some new little Silkie eggs. I am noticing that the boys just aren't doing their thing with the girls that aren't laying.

For $60, I'd ask for a replacement or a refund. I would however seperate them for a time and give him a chance. Try him with some other hens and see how he does. If you haven't had him for a long enough time he may not be adjusted to the new location yet. He may not have been the dominant male in his old coop and need time to adjust.

I have two Brwn leghorns and she has laid a total of two eggs since the middle of november. I did see him mount her today. I don't think they like the pen they are in. While I haven't found enough about them I don't think they like confinement. I have no outside place for them just yet.

Ok this may help................. some guy's don't like to be watched yeah yeah I know but it's true. I have watched some of my more shy breeds doing the deed when they think I am not around, I have some windows and vent shades where I can spy on them and sure enough botta-bing. another trick I tried once was to make a small mud puddle in the corner of the pen, just a little one, and sure enough the next day the hen looked like someone did the charleston dance on her back.

AL

Maybe a little Wine, some soft music, and a candle lit dinner for 2 would help.

No seriously my Rooster can't wait to get out in the morning before he hops on them. He stands at the gate waiting for to come by so he can get him a little.

I love this thread.
lol.png

But honestly, have you considered AI? Artificial Insemination can be done with chickens and has, for owners in your...uhh...situation.
roll.png
My Silkie is about 10 months old and has yet to do the deed. He has the mild interest, thought not the dedication. The ladies don't mind though. I've yet to hear a 'peep' outta them.

Back
Top Bottom