Why wont the fox go in the trap??

Quote:
they love molasses too as well as coon I have never caught a dog or cat using molasses I am not sure why you would think if it appealed to a fox it would appeal to a dog too . the fox here are eating mulberries right now

Quote:
they love molasses too as well as coon I have never caught a dog or cat using molasses I am not sure why you would think if it appealed to a fox it would appeal to a dog too . the fox here are eating mulberries right now

Speaking for foxes, yes, we like a lot of things and some good smelly sardines is one of them. I prefer a bay leaf and clove pack, myself.

I've caught two, but it took a while. My foxes are smaller than your foxes though, you might need a bigger trap. They like cat food just fine.
It took a while to catch the first one, perhaps it takes some time to get used to being around the trap? I didn't disguise mine. But I know they can be trapped in a regular box live trap! It CAN be done!

Since foxes are commonly trapped for their fur I'm sure the fur trappers have lots to say about the topic. Google is your friend
wink.png
example: http://www.bugspray.net/catalog/products/page2039.html I have recently expanded my trapping to include leg hold traps. The feed store used to carry them, but doesn't seem to anymore. Fortunately they are pretty inexpensive to order online. Duke is a good brand - I bought mine from http://www.murrayslures.com/ 1 1/2 size seems to be pretty useful, they say on the website for the target animals Fox, Mink, Nutria, Raccoon for that size, but I've caught large dogs in them too.

Quote:
I need to get my aim straight then, and figure out how far it can throw. the closest it's came is about 100 feet to the porch. if I come to close he will run away.
we've spent too much on chickens this year already, haha

hahaha, the thing about target practice, is I keep losing my arrows. now I have to go buy more arrows hahaha
they drive themselves completely under the grass

Quote:
how would I make sure the neighbor's cat wouldn't get into it though?? It seems like the easiest way

Use fruit for bait persimmions ,mulberries corn syrup , molasses etc etc fish will normally catch possums coon and skunk too sweet mostly catches coon and fox

Trapper here. Try bacon grease and a little grape jelly. Never cought a cat on jelly. I know grey fox go batty over bacon grease and the reds will come to. Keep trying and if the live trap is big enough it will eventually snoop around in there. Would be alot faster if you got the word out that you are looking for a trapper to talk to. They would probably help you out if you ask.

Last edited:
I am not sure why you would think if it appealed to a fox it would appeal to a dog too .

I'm not really sure if this is a question...and if it was directed to me...​

Quote:
I'm not really sure if this is a question...and if it was directed to me...

mostly rhetorical most folks do not realize if a bait attracts a fox it will normally attract wolves , dogs and coyotes the exception I have found is coyotes like really sweet stuff just think powdered sugar mixed with corn syrup sweet I have used it a little the last coupla years and I can make them come to where I am going to set my trap that and a few other things you just would not believe how K-9's notice when something changes in their surroundings

I became fascinated with gray foxes soon after putting up a trail camera on my deer feeder. I was sticking apples on tack nails on the trees in hopes of catching a deer on it's hind legs reaching up to get the apples. All I got pictures of were the gray foxes climbing the trees to get the apples. They are the only canines that can climb trees. Red foxes cannot.

76677_fox_climbing_tree.jpg

76677_13354_204431168526_697538526_3105770_7401227_n.jpg

76677_13354_189203503526_697538526_3028956_6477461_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom