why wont they lay eggs?!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by 4hducklover, Jan 30, 2011.

1. 4hducklover

4hducklover Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2010
    i have 3 male pekins and 3 female pekins! there together and they do great! i got the males in august and the females in november! the females were actually laying about 1-2 eggs a day! but now its winter and we arent getting any eggs! [​IMG] i was just wondering why? its michigan so we have a weird winter! please help!

2. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    It's not uncommon for any bird to stop laying in the winter. The length of day being so short signals their reproductive tracts to shut down for a while. They will likely start back up soon.

3. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Quote:Especially true of ducks, many of which are seasonal layers.

4. Rosebud 18

Rosebud 18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    middle Tn
    I got 2 pekin (pair) ducks in april, she started laying in sept. and has only skipped about 3 days in all. I just wish she would go broody. I'm really pleased with her laying. What do you feed them? I feed mine layen crumbles or pellets some corn and make sure they have plenty fresh water. I also keep a light on all night in their pen.

5. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    Quote:off topic but is UNCOMMON for birds to lay in the winter but not spring summer or fall

6. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    Its normal for them not to lay in the winter.I dont like adding a light to any of my poultry during winter becouse what I have noticed is that the constant egg laying takes a toll on there bodies.

7. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

My Pekins have layed every day untill last week, 2 of them have stopped coz they are moulting and I also have another who has started laying 3 weeks ago.

8. lulu786

lulu786 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2011
    We have chickens and they never lay any eggs during the winter months till one week they surprised us when the frost started to decrease, the eggs started to come again! Our neighbor told us it wasn't uncommon as during winter any poultry tend not to lay eggs during the winter season.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by