why wont they lay eggs?!

4hducklover

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 18, 2010
i have 3 male pekins and 3 female pekins! there together and they do great! i got the males in august and the females in november! the females were actually laying about 1-2 eggs a day! but now its winter and we arent getting any eggs!
barnie.gif
i was just wondering why? its michigan so we have a weird winter! please help!

It's not uncommon for any bird to stop laying in the winter. The length of day being so short signals their reproductive tracts to shut down for a while. They will likely start back up soon.

I got 2 pekin (pair) ducks in april, she started laying in sept. and has only skipped about 3 days in all. I just wish she would go broody. I'm really pleased with her laying. What do you feed them? I feed mine layen crumbles or pellets some corn and make sure they have plenty fresh water. I also keep a light on all night in their pen.

Its normal for them not to lay in the winter.I dont like adding a light to any of my poultry during winter becouse what I have noticed is that the constant egg laying takes a toll on there bodies.

We have chickens and they never lay any eggs during the winter months till one week they surprised us when the frost started to decrease, the eggs started to come again! Our neighbor told us it wasn't uncommon as during winter any poultry tend not to lay eggs during the winter season.

Back
Top Bottom