Why would 15 healthy chicks just die?

But like I’ve said using those recommendations I have cooked several different batches of my chicks before. So usually I keep it lower and watch the chicks behavior to tell me if I need to adjust the temps of the lamp. The chicks know what temp is to hot or to cold better than what something on the internet and research says, no chick is the same so I try to do things based on what they are telling me. I’ve said this many times before in my climate it’s usually around 80 to mid 80 where my chicks were comfortable and happy. At 95 with the room temperature at high 70s the brooder temp went into the 100s roasting my chicks, low to mid 80s and watching behavior of the chicks has worked well for us for almost 6 years now. I have never lost chicks brooding indoors until these last two orders, my chicks that I hatched out myself about a month ago and all the other chicks I hatched were brooded this way with no problems whatsoever.
I assure you you won't overheat those chicks using that light in a big tote or bigger area. Its impossible to hurt them if they can move farther away. Yours don't have enough room is all....you may have to raise or lower the light to adjust it that is all.Cardboard boxs can be used to make a sold fence they can't get out of.Its all you need.I'd throw that tote back in the closet for another day as its cost you too much already.

Not really, considering the stories I've seen on this forum of dead chicks when the plate gets too hot.

I don't think it's very common, but it does happen sometimes.

Of course, the more space the chicks have, the less danger there is, because they can move away from the too-hot plate. But some people have a plastic bin where the heat plate covers half the space, and the feed & water fill most of the rest, and chicks in a setup like that would not have room to get away if the plate overheats. (Not saying OP did this, just saying I've seen other people's photos of such brooders.)
Nothings perfect but IF you notice the chicks are not getting on it it means the chicks are okay OR the plates too hot which opens up a whole can of worms.

Totally a novice at baby chicks and I know common knowledge says pine shavings are okay, but ... . When I raised reptiles for a while, pine was considered as bad for respiratory problems as cedar.

I started my chicks on disposable puppy pads. When they started scratching those up too much, I switched over to aspen shavings until they went to the coop. Just something else to consider.

Hope your little Susie Survivor makes it.
I had read on several occasions pine shavings are best when they are a bit older. I started mine on paper towels. It seemed to work fine. I also liked paper towels as I could see their droppings. It is also easier for them to get from water to food. I know I'm a newbie but it worked for me. Try My Pet Chicken. Great customer service.

" Research has shown that chicks that are subjected to cold temperature have impaired immune and digestive systems. As a result, cold stressed chicks have reduced growth and increased susceptibility to diseases. Cold stressed chicks will exhibit higher incidence of ascites, a metabolic disorder that results in reduced performance, increased mortality....
https://extension.uga.edu/publications/detail.html?number=B1287

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-09-27 at 15-16-13 Environmental Factors to Control when Brooding Chicks UGA Co...png
    Screenshot 2021-09-27 at 15-16-13 Environmental Factors to Control when Brooding Chicks UGA Co...png
    15.4 KB · Views: 0
But like I’ve said using those recommendations I have cooked several different batches of my chicks before. So usually I keep it lower and watch the chicks behavior to tell me if I need to adjust the temps of the lamp. The chicks know what temp is to hot or to cold better than what something on the internet and research says, no chick is the same so I try to do things based on what they are telling me. I’ve said this many times before in my climate it’s usually around 80 to mid 80 where my chicks were comfortable and happy. At 95 with the room temperature at high 70s the brooder temp went into the 100s roasting my chicks, low to mid 80s and watching behavior of the chicks has worked well for us for almost 6 years now. I have never lost chicks brooding indoors until these last two orders, my chicks that I hatched out myself about a month ago and all the other chicks I hatched were brooded this way with no problems whatsoever.
Am I the only one hearing you say you have raised chicks at this time of year before, using this SAME setup, and this SAME lamp, more than once, with NO LOSSES? Yet everyone seems to be telling you that your problem is that your tote is too small, the sides are too tall, and you overheated your chicks, etc. If what I am hearing you say is correct, that nothing in your setup is different, and you have raised chicks this way successfully in the past, then there HAS to be another reason your chicks died, in my opinion, and this is not your fault. I don't know the answer, but there has to be something other than your setup.

Not really, considering the stories I've seen on this forum of dead chicks when the plate gets too hot.

I don't think it's very common, but it does happen sometimes.

Of course, the more space the chicks have, the less danger there is, because they can move away from the too-hot plate. But some people have a plastic bin where the heat plate covers half the space, and the feed & water fill most of the rest, and chicks in a setup like that would not have room to get away if the plate overheats. (Not saying OP did this, just saying I've seen other people's photos of such brooders.)
With this new version though I’ve seen more good reviews than bad. I did it as a different alternative to a heat lamp that can not only cook chicks but set fires as well. She is the only one in her 40 gallon plastic tote so it is big enough for her to get away from any heat. Also the tote is longer than it seems in the pictures it’s just the angle I took the picture at. I think it’s something like 4ft long.

Am I the only one hearing you say you have raised chicks at this time of year before, using this SAME setup, and this SAME lamp, more than once, with NO LOSSES? Yet everyone seems to be telling you that your problem is that your tote is too small, the sides are too tall, and you overheated your chicks, etc. If what I am hearing you say is correct, that nothing in your setup is different, and you have raised chicks this way successfully in the past, then there HAS to be another reason your chicks died, in my opinion, and this is not your fault. I don't know the answer, but there has to be something other than your setup.
Yep pretty much. The hatchery even told me that I killed my chicks with the way my brooder is set up, and they have done nothing for me because they have no reports of other peoples birds dying, so they also blamed me. No one here is really blaming me everyone seems to agree with me for the most part, it’s just the hatchery pointing fingers.

Last edited:
Sounds fishy to me, not sure what would kill them after a week though. I'm sorry you suffered this one time let alone two!

Switch to a Mama Heating Pad setup. The whole "95°F for the first week, 90°F for a week, etc" is bull shit. Have you ever seen a hen heat their surroundings to 95°F?? We naively followed that rule with our first 12 chicks in 2012 in a bathtub. I had the heat lamp on a remote reading reptile thermostat. That room was UNBEARABLE! They were moved out to the barn horse stall coop at just under 4 weeks.

What they NEED is a heat source they can go to when they get cold. A hen is best because she moves around with them. MHP is second best. I'm on batch #6 of chicks now and the last 5 have started with MHP in a big cardboard box for the first day and night. If I had a broody hen they were moved out to the coop the next night. One more night inside if no broody and then moved out to the coop with the MHP. All of the chicks saw temps down in the 50's and 60's at night, they just hung under the hen or MHP when they got cold. They never see anything close to 90°F ambient their first month.

I have them on paper towels on newspaper when in the cardboard box, regular shavings in the brooder area of the coop, same shavings as the rest of the floor.

These chicks are 4 days old in the brooder area of the coop, temp out in the barn that day according to a Google search was high 70°F, low 60°F. Notice that they aren't even under the hen
View attachment 2842261

10 days old, movable heat source ;) High that day 75°F, overnight low 45°F.
View attachment 2842255
I can't like this post enough! All they need is a good reliable heat source they can go to....

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom