why would my hens be eating thier own eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by r tillery, Dec 15, 2009.

1. r tillery

r tillery New Egg

Jun 13, 2009
    I have seen my hens eating eggs .They have plenty of purina layer pellets for food and oyster shell for extra nutrients

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    That's too bad. I hate it when that happens.

3. mendygnl

mendygnl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Glidden, IA
    R they just beginning to lay?

4. purecountrychicken

purecountrychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    Gray Court, SC
    Chickens like to eat eggs just like we like eatting them. Hopefully they will stop eatting them though. You might have to start taking the eggs out as soon as they lay them to try to stop them from eatting the eggs.

5. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Oh no, that's bad. Once they start it is near impossible to get them to stop.

You should start collecting the eggs several times a day to remove the temptation. Hopefully, you can stop this in time.

6. Hypnotist_Collectr

Hypnotist_Collectr Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2009
    NorCal, CA
    I have a broody one who has started doing this.
    I read somewhere on the boards that you have to blow out the liquid part of the egg, and fill it up with mustard or hot sauce, and it should make them stop...
    Let's hope it works. It is my husband's favorite chicken... I went out there this morning to the egg box soaking wet, her beak soaking wet, along with her chest. I was not too pleased...

7. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

It's certainly not impossible to get egg eaters to stop. I've had egg eaters in the past that quit when I changed their diet. You might want to get a bag of flock raiser or gamebird feed something with higher protein in it, you can mix it with your layer feed. My guess is they're looking for more nutrition.

Also do they have a good sized yard? Having the option to roam around outside keeps them from getting in trouble in the coop. I have also heard that darkening the nest boxes by hanging a bit of fabric over the entrance can help. Makes sense, if they can't see if there are eggs in there they might not bother going in. Collecting the eggs A.S.A.P. will always help.

Good luck. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by