Why yes, I DID build my chickens a solarium

HEChicken

Crowing
13 Years
Aug 12, 2009
BuCo, KS
My Coop
My Coop
Every flock should have their own solarium, dontcha think?

I found this shower door set out to the curb by one of my neighbors on trash day a couple of years ago and thought "cold frame", so grabbed it and brought it home. Who knew an old shower door would be so handy to have around? I never got around to making the cold frame because it always seems to be in use for another purpose. I've used it when new chicks are in my small chick run, to keep them dry, and to weigh it down and a variety of other purposes. Last winter DH (who never wanted the chooks but is very tolerant of anything that makes me happy) leaned it against the brick wall, leaving just enough space for a chicken to sit behind it. In no time they got the idea and both last winter and this one, happily use it to warm up on cold days. With the sun shining through it, and the break from the wind, it must be quite a bit warmer behind it than elsewhere in the yard. I can look out my kitchen window and see them, and every time I look, a different set of birds is in the "solarium".

looks if they are enjoying it.my husband took two large windows and attached those to the corners of my run.it keeps a large area nice and dry.

My girls just forwarded this to me and asked me to bring one home. Sigh...

Great idea.

lau.gif

I have a shower door that had been part of a pair. It's partner had been broken and I had replaced them both with a shower curtain. The door was in good shape so I set it in the garage wondering what I could do with it. TA-DA!!! What a great idea!

Back
Top Bottom