Whyre kids so NERVE WRACKING!?!?!?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, 4 year olds are charming and cute and annoying and devious. And if they weren't so cute, we'd sell them off to the yak herders or Gypsies (whoever offered the better deal) long before they turned 4.

I've got one coming up on his fourth birthday in six weeks, and have had seven others turn four before him. Oh, the stories! But now that I'm over 45, I've got a huge case of brain-fade and have forgotten so much of them!
roll.png

But I look at my 20 year old (and none of my kids, so far, have been obnoxious teens. A bit ornary, but not obnoxious) and I see a bright, lovely young woman with years ahead of her. I constantly delve into my fading memory straining to remember all of her antics as a gorgeous squealing chubby little thing--- like trying to drag the cats around by the head and wondering why they run away from her all the time, and how every wall in the house had her 'artwork' on it at some point. All my fits and snits and angery rants which seem so silly now looking back.

And I cry a little, sometimes.

Then this young son cuts half the skin of two of his little fat fingers playing with a utility knife he's sneaked out of the garage....and.....
rant.gif

I know how you are feeling. Yes, it is true he is only 4, but we see more than that. I remember one time when one of my sons was the same age, and we had 2 baby bunnies. He was in the back yard with a friend from across the street, throwing the baby bunny in the air, and broke his neck!
Mad, you bet, I couldn't see straight! My dad happened by just after the incident, and had to calm me down. He told me he'd never seen me like that before. I must have been a mad woman at the time. What I mean is, you got really upset, but you didn't hurt your child. Instead you came on BYC to vent, and thats good. I think we try to put our feelings and abilities on to our children when we get angry, not realizing that they are only children, and sometimes children do these things. It doesn't make it any easier when it happens, believe me I know. With time, is when we realize it. It was when we had to bury the bunny, was when he realized that he was in fact "dead", and he ask that his daddy fix him with glue.
It did bring a slight smile to my face, after such an upsetting incident.
This is for you and your little boy.
hugs.gif
Oh, by the way, that son is now 22 y/o.

Why are you mad at the kid and not the hen? They were both just doing what comes naturally to them.

Life is what it is. Mad at kid or hen just punishes you for what it is. Makes no sense.

Teach your children that baby chickens or mature chickens are not toys! Its not fair to the chicks or the child. If we as parents can't control our children, we need to keep the chicks so they cannot get to them until they are old enough to learn how to handle them. This actually goes for all pets, not just chicks.

A friend told me a story...

As a young child he had many cute and squeeky toys.

He and his parents went to visit an elderly realtive and he was introduced to the small "taco bell" dog. After some time had passed while the grown ups visited, he came into the living room and handed his grandmother the rather limp body of the dog. He said - "It won't squeek no more!"

Happily the small dog did recover and the grandparents did take my friend home to his parents. This story has been passed down for several generations now.

And, long story short, this dear friend whom I will call ewig for the purposes of this story, is a Methodist minister.

I wonder if he has ever told his children this story???

Its quite easy to dole out parental advice when it appears as though quite a few of you have never been in a similar situation. And I am referring to the folk who are blaming the OP.

Not every child is the same. Not every child is perfect. As parents, we do the best we can, and it is absolutely within our rights to be upset at our children if after we have repeatedly told them not to do something, they do it anyway. It's not a matter of controlling our kids. Some kids, despite our best efforts, are not going to be controlled. All we can do is just keep offering guidance and support and hope that they take the right paths in their life. And sometimes they don't. And sometimes this is how they learn those big life lessons.

Quote:
LOL I'm gonna sound abit rough here but this does crack me up. I have four kids. 15, 12, 9 and in two months 4. Yes it is easy to kick out advise or points of view especially if someone posts their feelings on a public forum.

So here is mine. The parent is at fault. Not the hen not the child. Even if he was told. He's 4. He lives in the moment. He never would have gotten in there if he wasn't able to get in. There is no one else to blame but the OP in this. This isn't a "parenting" issue. I'm not accussing the OP of being a bad parent. Just that the OP did not have the chickens secure.

I hope you told him that he needs to be carefull and to not go in the coop without you and that they are "special" and can "break". These are words most children can associate with. He's not at fault and bad and I hope you told him so.

Oh and the last part of your post make me chuckle. My neighbor says the exact same thing. Her children a girl 15 and boy 12 have both quit school and her daughter has a live in boyfriend who is jobless and 19.

My children live in my house and do abid by my rules as my house is not a democracy. When they are out of my house then they are free to do what they want but maybe not without my input.

Jeremy

Well I am happy for you that you obviously have perfect children who do exactly as you tell them and nothing more. I, on the other hand, am ADD and it's quite possible that my handful of a 4-year-old has it too. So. I'm going to drop it now because obviously whatever I say to you, you are just going to laugh off and call me silly and tell me that I'm a bad parent for being unable to make or force my children follow all of my rules. -- Happy Parenting to you, dude. Good job with yours.

Quote:
hugs.gif
Michigan... calm down sweetie. It sounds like you've had a stressful day perhaps as well, take a deep breath and breathe dear. Trust me.. no one has "perfect children"
wink.png
and I dont believe anyone called you a bad parent honey. These are different peoples opinions on this matter, thats all - and honestly, does it really matter in the end? Nope. Another day and "this too shall pass..."

Ah kids... dont we wish they call came with instructions and little On/Off & Mute buttons we could just press like in the movie "Click" ?

to the OP, I'm so sorry your darling 4 y/o picked up your baby chick and that the momma hen was ruffled by it. I'm sure he's heartbroken just as you are. So from me to you and to him a big ol' hug
hugs.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom